three

chapter three

season two episode one ; undercover
part one...
six months later...
eighty-ninth precinct...
nine am...

"Detective Knox, my office." Kenzie looked up from his file on a robbery-turned-murder he was investigating to see Captain Braugher standing at the door of her office, waving him inside. Kenzie stood up from his desk, ignoring the looks he was getting from some of the much older Detectives in the bullpen, entering the office and shutting the door behind him. "Mackenzie, your transfer to another precinct has been approved." Kenzie looked visibly relieved as he sat down.

"Thank you, ma'am." Kenzie said, smiling briefly before schooling his features. "You know i wouldn't be leaving if i didn't have any other choice."

"Of course, I understand." Amelia agreed. Captain Amelia Braugher was one of his absolute favorite Captain's in the NYPD. She was slightly over fifty, a Latin-American woman who was married to another woman – Elaine - and had four children under ten – two were her's biologically and two were Elaine's biologically and Kenzie was godfather to their youngest Abigail, and Jake always said she was the female version of Captain Holt. Funnily enough they had been partners in the 90's, just before Holt became a Sergeant fifteen years ago. She, like Holt, fought to get to the position she holds now, and now that she's up for a promotion to Deputy Chief Kenzie no longer had a reason to stay at the Eight-Nine. "I just wish it hadn't come to this."

"Me too, ma'am." Kenzie had filed the transfer several weeks ago, when the hazing had gotten so bad one of the older detectives had tried to pin a murder on him. He was cleared of all charges, the Detective had been busted down to a beat-cop again and the Commissioner didn't strip him of his first-grade status thankfully, but he couldn't trust any of the Detectives to have his back in the field.

"Captain Holt has been looking for another Detective, that way all of his Detectives have partners in the field."