30. Roshani

Katayoun's return to the palace was a quiet matter, without any fanfare or attention. It was better that way, both for Roshani and for Katayoun herself. She was sure that for now at least, her grandmother's main goal would be to stay out of that prison again.

The preparations for Kasra's coronation were nearly complete. Not only the palace, but the entire city of Nishupar was hurrying for the grand celebration of Sazia's new crown prince.

The event couldn't come soon enough for Roshani. She had started to have nightmares in the past weeks, horrible dreams that had her waking up sweating in the middle of the night. Always in them, she protected Kasra from a vicious horde of faceless monsters with spears and swords clutched in her hands. Always the dream ended with those monsters ripping the child out of her arms.

Such a horrifying recurring dream seemed an omen to her, and a dark one at that. She wished to reveal the visions to someone. After considering for a while, she decided there was only one person in this palace who she considered a friend, who she trusted to tell the dream to: Princess Farah of House Varaz.

Roshani went to seek out the princess in the palace training yard. She stood at the far end of the open space, pulling back a bowstring and releasing it with an echoing thrum.

Roshani turned to look at the various targets arranged in front of her- there was an arrow sprouting from the bulls eye in every one. Roshani watched again as Farah seamlessly pulled back her arm and released; another arrow sank into the sand filled target's center.

"Farah," Roshani called. Farah turned at the sound of her name. Upon seeing Roshani standing behind her she dropped into a fluid bow, her bow and arrow momentarily forgotten.

Roshani walked forward to stand beside her, looking pointedly at the bow and all of the targets filled with arrows.

"I didn't know you were such an accomplished archer," Roshani commented.

Farah smiled. "It's one of my many talents."

Roshani rolled her eyes a bit. She gestured to the bow hanging from Farah's hand.

"By all means, continue your practice," she said. "I merely came to observe your training and chat."

Farah smoothly interpreted the underlying meaning of her words. Without the slightest reaction to indicate suspicion, she nodded and drew her bow once again. She methodically began to shoot at her targets, but as she aimed and fired she spoke.

"What is it you need to discuss, your highness?" she asked.

"A nightmare of mine," Roshani replied, grateful that Farah had taken her meaning. While to the various guards and servants observing, it would appear that they were having a casual conversation while enjoying Farah's archery skills, the subject of the conversation was much more private. "I've had it every night for over a week now."

"What did you dream?" An arrow thudded into the center of another bull's eye.

"I'm holding Kasra in my arms and running through the halls of the palace. Monsters are chasing us- but somehow I know they only want Kasra, and not me. They tell me that if I would only drop Kasra and leave him to them, they'd let me be, but I just keep running. At the end, though, they always take him from me. That's where the dream ends, and I wake up gasping."

Thud. Thud.Two arrows strike two different bulls eyes simultaneously, both shot from the bow at once.

"I'm no dreamseer," Farah said as she turned around to refill her quiver with arrows. "But the meaning seems clear enough to me. Kasra will be crown prince soon. There will be those who will want not only to harm him, but to influence him and make him theirs to control." She glanced at Roshani out of the corner of her eye. "Perhaps this is a warning of things to come- an omen that Kasra won't remain under your control forever."

Roshani immediately drew back, recoiling at Farah's words. Kasra was her son, the one person left in this world who she truly loved. How could it be that others would one day take him from her? It was unthinkable.

"He's my son," Roshani said firmly, voicing her thoughts aloud. "That would never happen."

"The gods don't always spin fate in the way we wish, your highness," Farah said in a tone of warning. "Everything is possible. But perhaps these dreams are good sign as well- they are giving you the sight to prevent this future."

This time, four arrows shot into targets at once. She put down her bow in a fluid movement. Her expression was completely composed, not giving away any sign of the nature of their discussion. The sharp glint of her eyes, however, told Roshani otherwise.

Farah bowed low to Roshani and walked away, leaving three rows of destroyed targets and a frustrated empress behind her.