20. Roshani

Roshani strode down the column-lined halls of the palace, heading in the direction of Kasra's nursery. She had hardly seen him at all since announcing him as her heir. And since Homeira's execution, something always brought Roshani up short whenever she thought to visit him, an unpleasant pressure in her chest that instantly changed her mind.

Now she couldn't avoid it any longer. She needed to be seen with Kasra, and seen in public, in order to solidify his image as her son and heir. Doubts about his legitimacy would only grow stronger if she didn't quell them now. She had to push aside her reluctance.

She approached the grand doors to Kasra's nursery and entered inside. The nursery was a large complex of many finely decorated rooms. The first rooms Roshani walked through were empty, and so she continued further inside. At the threshold of the door to another room, Roshani hesitated before entering.

She could hear, through the half-open door, the voice of Kasra's nurse reciting a story to him.

Roshani quickly recognized the tale. It was one all children in Sazia knew, one so old that it seemed simply natural to repeat it once again for the next generation. Kasra was too young now to even understand what he was hearing, but still the story was told to him, more fundamental than even language.

Roshani hadn't heard the story told in quite some time. She waited beyond the door, keeping silent and listening herself.

"Before men, the gods first created another race of beings: the daevas, creatures shaped from fire and magic. They were wild, untamable creatures and the gods quickly grew tired of them. They then created new beings, these made from earth and magic: humans.

"The gods saw that the race of humans was curious and creative, and they were pleased with them. They showered human kingdoms with gifts and bounties. Mithra gave men the gift of fire in the very spot where the Great Fire still burns today. Anahita gave the gift of water, her rivers flowing throughout the land from the southern seas. In gratitude, the race of man came to worship the gods, giving them prayers and offerings.

"But the daevas soon grew jealous of the favor bestowed to the humans. They were the elder race, they believed, and therefore superior. They declared that the gods, in favoring the humans, had betrayed them, and they mounted a war of unimaginable calamity upon mankind.

"The humans were more organized than the daevas but much weaker. The daevas possessed magic able to wreak destruction everywhere they went, and they were stronger as well. But the gods saw this and once again gave their help. Shah Fereydun, the great warrior king, received many blessings from Mithra. His army's weapons were blessed, giving them the ability to cut down the impervious bodies of the daevas. The Shah himself was given power over fire, which he used to win many victories in battle. Many died and the empire was nearly destroyed, but Fereydun prevailed. The daevas were driven back to their arid homeland and killed."

"After their defeat... Y-Your Majesty!"

Roshani was jolted out of her daze as the nursemaid faltered, catching sight of her beyond the door. Roshani sighed and entered. The nursemaid adjusted Kasra in her arms and bowed her head repeatedly. The baby seemed to find the gesture funny, as he laughed at her with a toothless smile.

"I apologize, Your Majesty. I didn't see you..."

"It's alright. I was listening to the story." Roshani held up her arms and the nursemaid obediently handed Kasra over to her. Roshani cautiously held him, making sure to keep his neck supported as she'd once been taught. Kasra tilted his head curiously up at her, still smiling sweetly. He didn't seem to recognize her face, but all Roshani could see when she looked at his was his uncanny resemblance to Soraya when she'd been a baby. She drew her gaze away quickly.