C H A P T E R 40

SOMETHING BORROWED

KAI

She's here!

She's here!

She's here!

The soft fingers filling in the spaces in between mine. The warm feel of the palm that touched mine. I kept on pulling her after me as we walked to the parking lot. I could hear her breathing and footsteps synching with mine. I'm scared that if suddenly turn around before we reached my car, I'd see no one. If I started a conversation and no one answers.

Finding my car, I opened the passenger door and watched as she walked past me and entered. Letting go of my hand, I noted my own handshake. I quickly hid my shaking hand behind my back and closed the door.

Home.

We had to get home. I sent a short message to my parents so they could meet us at my house. Nadia was with them since the early morning. I got in and we headed out. Still gripped by an illogical fear that this was yet another dream of having her return, I focused my attention on driving.

Please, let this be real.

Please be real.

Please...

I felt her fingers brush my hair and my knuckles grew white as I gripped the steering wheel. Still, I looked ahead, focusing on the oncoming traffic.

"I like what you did with your hair," she whispered. "It suits you..."

A year ago, she had fun experimenting with the comb and scissors. I had only wanted a trim but she tricked me into agreeing to a makeover. Arrah was still new to it so I had to visit the salon to have it fixed. The little minx did little to hide her giggles. It was embarrassing but it was hard to be mad at her when she's happily smiling.

Still, I kept quiet.

"Are you mad at me?" Her hand fell on my shoulder. I took her hand and kissed the base of her palm.

Never.

You have more reasons than I could count to hate me though.

"I'm sorry." Removing her seatbelt with her free hand, she cupped my cheek and moved closer to lean on my shoulder.

Don't.

"I didn't want to hurt you." Her hand dropped to my chest and I almost heard my heart stutter to a stop and then beat more wildly. "That was not me. I'd rather die than kill you with my own hands."

I know.

My hammering heart echoed in my ears. It's a miracle I'm still conscious.

I saw my parents' car parked on the side of the street. I stopped the car, parking right behind it. Stepping out, I hurried to her side and held out my hand for her to take. We walked the path to our house when the door opened and out walked my parents.

"Nadia's up in her room. Asleep," my father said. He patted my back and mouthed thank you as we passed them by.

Taking a step in the home that didn't feel as such ever since she disappeared, we slowly climbed the stairs. The same stairs I walked while carrying her on my back. We reached the top and proceeded to go in search of our little princess. I held the knob, opened the door, and was greeted by the sound of my mate's recorded voice singing on the loop.

I ushered her in and let her go meet our daughter. There, in the middle of the room and secured in her cot, Nadia slept. Releasing my hand, she inched towards our sleeping baby. Quietly, I followed a few paces behind.