0.1

Written - March 18, 2019

Edited - July 7, 2020

Being different is always tough, no matter who you are. Being the first born to the chief and being different is even worse.  Everyone's eyes are on you and they will watch you until you make a mistake. The people of my village are kind and amazing but being watched 24/7 really sucks. 

When I was a child everyone thought I would grow out of my difference. I always had a fascination with the elements. Always studying them and trying to figure out how they worked. Always asking questions that no one could answer. When I turned four, my baby sister was born. Being a big sister is one of the biggest challenges I have ever had to face in my entire life. By the time I was six I "grew" out of my difference and focused on keeping Moana safe. She, herself, was a handful because of her fascination with the sea. 

One day, when my grandmother was telling legends to the children of my village, something happened. I was watching Moana as she listened to the Legend of Maui. I saw her face light up while the others huddled together scared. As I was watching, I felt something nudge my ankle. I looked down and saw my pet pig, Pua. He is only a couple of days old and has taken a liking to me. He is so small but I loved him anyway. I tuned back in when my grandma got a bit louder in her tale. 

"Hiding in the darkness that will continue to spread... Chasing away our fish. Draining the life from island after island. Until everyone of us is devoured by the blood thirsty jaws of inescapable death!" One of the boys started crying and another fainted. Wimps. "But one day... The heart will be found. By someone who would journey beyond the reef. Find Maui. Deliver him across the great ocean... To restore Te Fiti's heart. And save us all." She concluded in a softer tone.

"Thank you mother, that's enough." Papa said as he walked in and picked Moana up. "No one goes outside the reef. We're safe here. There is no darkness. There's no monster..." When he said that he hit the bamboo rod the helped hold the hut causing many tapestries to fall, all with monsters on them. All but Moana freaked out, which was expected. The children then tackled  Papa as a way a child would cling to a parent. I noticed Moana walking towards the ocean so I followed her. "Moana." I called. She turned around and ran up to me and grabbed my hand."Sissy, sissy. Pretty water." She said as she dragged me to the ocean. I giggled before playing along. "Yes, very pretty."

The water brought in a shell. But before Moana could grab it, we heard some scavenger birds behind us. I saw a baby turtle getting cornered. I ran and grabbed a leaf and handed it to Moana. She shaded the baby turtle while I Kept the birds away. It didn't take long for us to reach the water. Then I felt a magic force. The ocean has chosen. It has chosen Moana. The water separated as she walked along picking up shells. Then it gave her the heart. "Moana! Athena!" I gasped. 

The ocean floated Moana back to shore and I picked her up just in time for my father to arrive. "There you two are. You scared me." He picked the both of us up. "I was only making sure she didn't get lost Papa or go out to far." I told him. "You are a good big sister. And going to be a wonderful chief Athena." Papa said, smiling. I smiled back and Papa set me down. I saw my Mama and ran into her arms. "And you will do wondrous things my little Mino."

"Oh yes, but first... You must learn where you're meant to be Athena." Papa added.

As I got older, my Mama and Papa were teaching me about being a chief. I always ran away to dance with my grandma and little sister by the ocean. Now that I am about to turn sixteen I can do what I want as well as do my chiefly duties. Moana is twelve years old now and she has grown beautifully. On my fifteenth birthday, my Papa let me get wrist tattoo's. And let me tell you they hurt. 

The day before my birthday, my grandma took me somewhere. "I need to show you something. And I must tell you a story that no one knows." I was so confused, I mean anyone would. She pulled aside some vines and I saw a wall of rocks. I went to push them but before I could touch them, they moved aside by themselves. I looked and grandma put she motioned for me to walk in. As I walked in, I felt some wind move my hair aside. (What she looks like and wears in media) Grandma gave me the torch she held before speaking. "Go find out who you are." She told me. I walked down a corridor and saw a huge pool of water with boats. 

After I banged the gong, I saw a vision. Our ancestors were voyagers. If Mo was here, she would freak out. Why did we stop? I then remembered the legend of Maui. The boats stopped coming back. We never leave in fear of never returning. I looked around the cave before I walked back to grandma. "What is the story no one knows?" I asked sitting on a near by rock. "Many years ago, the ancient gods of all the elements lost there powers. They soon figured out why. They wanted to be human. Experience what mortals felt. They stopped there work and soon there powers were locked away. They needed someone to take on there powers. They all looked for a potential candidate. And they found one. She had not been born yet. So when the mother was asleep one night, all of the gods transferred there powers into the child in her mothers womb. When she turns sixteen her powers will become known to her. You, Athena, are that child." 

I had frozen in place. I have powers. I didn't know what to say. It makes so much sense now. "I have to leave. Don't I." I said in a grave tone. "Yes. You must learn to control all of your powers. But you will help your sister deliver Maui when it is time." I nodded. I kissed her on the cheek before I walked to my hut. Mo was still awake when I got there while my parents were asleep. I forced a smile on my face when I saw her. "Hey sis. Can you sing me a lullaby?" She asked smiling at me. "Sure. Are you already?" I asked pulling out a bag that I would use to pack my things.  

"Yup." She laid down and pulled a cover over herself. I walked over to her side and ran my hand through her hair.

By the time I was finished she was fast asleep. "I-I love you Mo." I said about to cry. "I lub you do." She said sleepily. I chuckled sadly before I stood up and packed everything I needed. Pua was on my bed and he was asleep as well. I woke him up and he rolled over on his back asking for a belly rub. I giggled. "Pua, watch over Moana for me. OK?" He looked confused but nodded. I kissed him on his head then stood up and walked out of the hut. I walked back to the cave and grandma was gone. I walked past the opening and waved my hand causing the rocks to go back into a rock wall.  I walked down and found a medium sized boat.

  I walked down and found a medium sized boat

I knew how to way-fined enough to get by. I pulled a rope that opened the sails and tied it to the oar when I steer. I made sure everything was tight so if a storm were to happen, I wouldn't lose anything. I opened two crates and saw some food and water. Seems grandma packed for me. I closed them and locked them. I got out of the boat and used all my strength to push it into the water. I got back in and sailed off.  When I got over the reef, I looked back to my home. I let a few tears slip. I'm going to miss everyone. I will see them again.