Thirty Six - Ms. Wilson

Ch36 - Mrs. Wilson

Enid Wilson felt troubled. Something had just not been sitting right with her lately. She'd received a phone call earlier from Charlie, telling her about Emily's father's heart attack, and it was just like him to drop everything and run to the side of his deceased wife's parents. Charlie was nothing if not thoughtful.

Oh, I hope Emily's father is alright, she worried to herself. I know Charlie still cares for her parents a great deal.

But fate could be so cruel. Why had this happened now, when things seemed to be progressing nicely between him and Talia? It had taken Charlie a long time to let down his guard around another woman, and now that he finally had, a part of Emily stepped back into his life. She could hear the discontent in her son's voice when he told her he was leaving for Atlanta, and she was certain that Emily's father wasn't the sole cause of his trepidation. Charlie was a big believer in fate, so was she, as a matter of fact. It would be just like Charlie to wonder if this was a sign from Emily, telling him not to move on.

But Emily wouldn't do that. She would want Charlie to be happy! Why can't things just go smoothly for once? Why is it that everything always has to be a hassle? Mrs. Wilson huffed and shook her head. Poor Talia, she probably doesn't know what to make of him leaving town in such a hurry!

She knew it was tough for Talia to let go of her past as well, and whatever secrets were haunting her. But Ms. Wilson had seen the way the young woman looked at her Charlie. There was chemistry there, she was certain of it. If only they had a fighting chance to see where their attraction might lead to, or at the very least, no outside forces working against them. She couldn't help but wonder if this new twist would throw a wrench into whatever was growing between the two of them. Charlie and Talia could be good for each other, as long as nothing, or no one, interfered.

Ms. Wilson leaned back in her rocker, enjoying the stillness of the evening. After a busy day, she loved to unwind with a cup of gourmet coffee and maybe a good book. But her many thoughts were keeping her company that night, and with the way things were going, they would most likely be keeping her up as well.

Vaguely, she wondered if the uneasiness she'd been feeling as of late was her subconscious trying to warn her about Emily's father. It wasn't unlike her to feel unfavorable just before a catastrophe took place. The uncanny sensation had made it's presence known on several occasions throughout the course of her life. She remembered as a child harboring a feeling of dread just before her mother had gotten sick and passed away. And then again before her husband Charles ran off with another woman. And also with Emily. Enid distinctly recalled the doom and gloom she had felt in the days leading up to the accident. Of course, she'd never shared any of her experiences with anyone. She didn't need people thinking she was crazy or something! She had a reputation to uphold.

But something had been gnawing away at her for the past several weeks. Come to think of it, the feelings of unrest had come about right around the time Talia had made her appearance in town.

That's strange... Ms. Wilson pondered. What an eerie coincidence...

The unease couldn't possibly be related to Talia. She'd been nothing short of a miracle—for both her and Charlie. It would be silly to even question her position in their lives! Ms. Wilson's affection toward the quiet young woman was growing with each passing day. Talia was a wonderful addition, in so many different ways.

However, the anxiety she'd been feeling just wasn't going away. If anything, it was becoming stronger and more intense. She just hoped that now, with Emily's father in the hospital, the nagging agitation would begin to subside. It was an unfortunate event to take place, but there was nothing she could do about it except pray. And pray she would. She'd drop to her knees right then and there if it meant peace was on it's way.

No one ever said that life was easy, but why did it always have to be so trying for some? And always for the good people, too. Enid Wilson was a lover of life. She'd always appreciated it when things were happening—both good and bad. If you had feelings, that meant you were alive. But some unfortunate souls had had enough of the bad to last them a lifetime, and it's so easy to get swallowed up in negativity, she'd seen it happen many times before. If you didn't learn to slow down and smell the roses every once in awhile, you might wake up one day to find yourself at the end, with not a whole lot to show for in between. She didn't wish that fate on Charlie—or Talia. It was high time for a little bit of good fortune. Rocking in her chair, she wrapped her sweater a little tighter around herself.

There's that damn chill again, she sighed inwardly. That icy summer breeze that comes out of no where and makes your hair stand on end. What is that old saying about a sudden cold wind? Someone's walking over your grave?

Ms. Wilson chuckled and shook her head. But that's just an expression, right?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Did someone just say grave???

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel a bit of that unease that has been bothering Mrs. Wilson and Talia. Things seem to be heading in a direction that feels a bit...unsettling. What do you think?

This chapter is dedicated to reader @FreeDreaMers! Thank you for supporting my stories!

If you liked this chapter, I ask that you please leave me a vote/comment—I really love hearing from you! And thank you so much for reading The Secret! I update every Tuesday and Friday.