Chapter 43

Chapter 43- Edward's POV

You know in that movie The Box, where that couple had to decide whether to keep the box closed and have good luck on themselves, or open it and put bad luck on other people? Well, that was kind of the situation that John and I were facing right now. Whether to tell the truth or do what the stalker wanted us to do: blame it on Nathan. Except of course, our situation was worse, because it was real. 

Neither one of us knew what to do or say. We were not prepared for Barnes's questions, or for anything that he was going to say. I was waiting for some kind of accusation by now. I took a deep breath and sat down in front of the principal's desk, with John sitting next to me. Thinking that now was the time to inform Ella what was going on, I moved my chair closer to the principal's desk, earning a weird look from John. I started typing on my phone, making sure it was silent, and told Ella where we were. I received an immediate reply from her, telling me that she was going to be waiting outside with Nathan. I sighed and looked up, my eyes meeting with the principal's. Oops, I had just been caught texting. He frowned at me. I moved my chair back a little.

"So you two are probably wondering why I have asked you to come into my office," Mr Barnes said, looking at both of us. His eyes shifted to John. "Well John, you probably know why, as I spoke to you about the photo. But Edward, you are probably unaware." He addressed me, his gaze on me. I did my best to look interested in what he wanted to say, yet not really bothered. It wasn't easy. My heart was throbbing fearfully.

"I don't know whether Miss Claywell spoke to you," he continued, looking at me. Miss Claywell... Beth. "But I have received some photos which I do not want out in the public, where students and their parents can see them. In fact, Miss Claywell has agreed to transfer, so that the damage is not increased in any way. But I haven't figured out what to do with you yet." He paused and took a sip from his coffee, his eyes darting towards the computer screen. He clicked on something and seemed to wait for it to open before he looked at the two of us once again. "Or you," he said to John in an accusatory tone.

As if on cue, John's phone made that annoying whistling sound which signals a new text message. As he blinked and opened it, Mr Barnes rolled his eyes. "Honestly, Mr Abbott, have some respect. I'm sure you can put your mobile on silent, or at least, be discreet about opening a message in front of your boss," he scolded him. "No wonder I always disliked you," he muttered, not intending for John to hear. But he had, and I could see the flicker of pain in his eyes as they met mine.

I never really understood what the principal's problem with John was. He was just like me, only a little younger and with less experience in teaching. But the principal had never liked him. He seemed to have the opposite feelings towards me though, whereby he accepted me as a teacher when I was still training and not even graduated, and knowing that I had served a sentence in jail.

And he had not said anything to me earlier, when he had clearly noticed me typing away on my phone.

Principal Barnes turned the flat computer screen to face us, so that we could both see it. And there there was the photo that Nathan had taken, of John with Ella, with her face still blurred out. I saw John's face turn a deep shade of crimson.

"This," Barnes said, "should not be seen around school. Yet I received it on my desk and now even in my emails. So could you tell me, John, who sent it? Do you have any idea?"

John looked at me out of the corner of his eye, then shook his head. "No, sir," he gulped.

The principal's eyes narrowed and he pressed the arrow button so that the photo changed. It was now a photo of Beth and I, kissing in my classroom. I put my hands on my face, feeling ashamed. This seemed like a lifetime ago. And it meant that the stalker had been watching me for quite a while.