Chapter 1

*Book 3 of The Alpha Series. Cannot be read as a standalone book. You must read 1. The Hybrid and 2. Kaden's Luna before this.*

Chapter One - The Future

Ayla Romanov's P.O.V.

Both Ayla and Ivan are 16 years old in this chapter.

"One of you will lead the kingdom some day soon, I want you two to be ready. Now concentrate harder and do it again."

I'm brought out of my thoughts at the sound of Ivan calling my name. Looking up, I see that he's already climbed into our run-down tree-house and is waiting for me with his arm outstretched. His eyes that are identical to mine reflect worry, a frown on his lips.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm scared, what if I can't control my vampire and end up hurting everyone? I'm not fit to lead." I bite my lip in worry, taking my twin brother's hand so he can pull me up.

Ivan is older than me by two minutes and the only feature we share are our green eyes. He got our mother's jet-black hair while I received my father's dark brown. Because of our parents, we too are hybrids and ever since we shifted into our beasts six months ago, we've been training rigorously. Ivan grew out of his lanky build and is now tall and muscular with broad shoulders, just like Dad.

"Come on, Ayla. Dad can't even control his and he still ruled over two kingdoms." Ivan chuckles, draping an arm across my shoulders. "Fine, if you don't want to lead then I will. And I'll make you my queen." (Pronounced eye-luh)

I stare up at him with a smile, shaking my head in amusement. "You have to find a mate and make her your queen. You can't just pick your sister, dork."

"Screw that! Think about it, we can do whatever we want." He grins, swinging his legs into the air lightly. "Endless amounts of food and candy, cars to take us anywhere, no curfew –"

"And parents that will murder us when they find out through our guards." I deadpan, pushing his arm off me to stand up.

"Not if we order our guards to keep what we do a secret." He smirks deviously, joining me at the window that overlooks the lake.

"You're crazy!" I giggle before resting my chin on my crossed arms with a sigh. "Thanks for cheering me up though."

"Anytime." He smiles softly, nudging my arm with his elbow. "You're not the only one who's struggling to control their beasts you know."

I stare at him in silence and worry. "You are? How? You make it look so easy!"

"It's draining, trying to get them to work together is like hitting into a wall...repeatedly." He shrugs halfheartedly, tracing his initials that he carved into the wood when we were younger. "Have you noticed how I always disappear after our training sessions?"

"Yeah, where do you go?"

"Sleep." He laughs, staring down at the water. "It's enough to knock me out for a few hours."

My jaw drops, I thought I was the only one who was having a hard time. "I'm sorry, I always thought you had it easy."

"It's okay, I always thought you had it better than me though." He admits, sitting against the wall.