The Back-up Plan

Kurt and I walk out of NYADA and meet up with Blaine. We start walking down the sidewalk.

"Did you hear? The whole campus is abuzz." Kurt said excitingly. Blaine sighs.

"It's a drama school- the students get abuzz when the snack machine runs out of gummy worms." Blaine says. I laugh and nod in agreement.

"June Dolloway is coming! They're renaming the dance studio after her, and a select group of students have been asked to perform at the ribbon cutting." Kurt explains.

"I'm... I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with all of the old broadway stars we're supposed to worship. Who is that?" Blaine asks. Even I know. We stop to talk which I don't completely understand but whatever.

"June Dolloway! She's not an actress. She's just, like, the coolest socialite in the world. She's the widow of Lester Dolloway, the mineral baron. Her pictures been taken by Helmut Newton. And she took peyote with joe Kennedy- allegedly." Kurt explains further.

"Impressive." Blaine mocks.

"Excuse you. I don't like your tone with that face." I say. Blaine just laughs a little and looks back at Kurt.

"Yeah, and she's also pretty much the patron behind very artistic endeavor in Manhattan." Kurt finishes.

"Well, we got to make sure you're picked as one of the performers." Blaine says.

"I already was!" Kurt announces.

"Oh, my god, Kurt, that's amazing. I'm so happy for you." Blaine tells him.

"Yeah, I really want to do 'story of my life' by one direction." Kurt suggests.

"That's a good song, but that's sung by five different people. How are you gonna sing all those layers as just one person?" Blaine asks.

"Everyone loves a challenge." I smirk. Kurt playfully pushes me.

"Well, you'll sing with me. Come on, we're a team. We're getting married. If something exciting happens to one of us, it happens to the other one, too." Kurt convinces him.

"Oh, I love you. Thank you. That'll be fun. Well, let's go rehearse." Blaine says after they hug.

"And I'll be there to tell you everything you're doing wrong." I smile as we head down a street.

That evening back at the apartment Rachel tells us about her chance at a tv show.

"Guys, this tv show is a huge opportunity." Rachel says, desperate for us to agree with her.

"All you've been talking about for years is getting on broadway. Well, now you have. You've made it. You're that one-in-a-million girl who actually did it." Kurt argues.

"Look, every single person that works on broadway wants to make it in tv or film and if you think about it, some of Hollywood's greats were plucked from the stage. Hugh Jackman, Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep. Meryl." Rachel rebuttals.

"Are you really comparing yourselves to the greats?" I ask, laughing with a smirk on my face.

"And how many of them quit their shows less then a month after opening night?" Kurt asks.

"I'm not quitting. No w... I am not quitting, Okay? It is, like, just an audition. I'm actually doing something really nice for my understudy. I'm just gonna, like, take a sick day." Rachel reasons. I raise an eyebrow.

"You mean lie?" Kurt asks plainly.

"Look, if someone came to you guys at NYADA right now and asked you to audition for this tv show, tell me you would say no." Rachel says.