The Journey

Saidy stared in awe at the room she'd slept in the night prior. A storm had overtaken the highlands outside the walls.

She watched as sheets of water drenched the agitated swells of grass far below. Every few seconds a silhouette of the Cobblestone Mountains and their time barrier would come into view as lightning tore through the black clouds.

Yrden had showed her a node that allowed her to control the transparency of the walls. She walked over to it and dimmed the walls so that only the south showed the terrible storm outside.

As she turned to the bed, with its draping elven lace canopy, there were some neatly folded clothes. How'd these get here, she wondered. She'd seen no other soul anywhere other than her and Yrden, and they were both occupied moments ago. There was no way he'd have been able to lay the clothes out.

However, Saidy didn't dwell on this too long. Yrden had been keen to inform her that she must make haste in her preparations; although, she dreaded the thought of stepping foot into that storm. Nevertheless, it was as Yrden wished.

The clothes were certainly more than rags, and the feel of them almost felt uncomfortable, constricting even, when compared to the pieces of burlap she'd called clothes for so long. However, as she picked up the navy-blue tunic, she couldn't help but rub the thick wool between her thumb and index.

The polished brass buttons shone in the flashes of lightning that raged across the mountains outside her room, and after donning the garment, it felt like she was wrapped in a warm cloud.

Much to her surprise, the short-sleeved tunic was actually quite freeing. She finished adorning the earth-toned wool pants that came with it and boots. The last item, she slung over her shoulders and affixed the clasp around her neck. She enjoyed playing with the hood, and even took a moment to mimic Yrden with it up.

However, what she enjoyed most was how the dark green cloak trailed behind her like she remembered her threadbare blanket did whenever she played adventurer with her father back in Edge. Saidy hugged the neck of the cloak, burying her face in it and imagining it smelled like him.

"I'm finally a real adventurer, Pa," she said. "Just like you..." She wiped the few drops that she wished hadn't fallen, pushing the memory away before images of his cruel end surfaced.

Saidy waived her hand over the node to activate the portal and stepped through into a foyer. There, Yrden was already waiting by the next portal wall. He really doesn't like doors, does he?

"I trust you're ready?" Yrden spoke as his head disappeared behind the black veil of his hood.

Saidy twisted her toes on the stone floor as a flash of discomfort ran across her face.

"Must I wear these awful things?" she said as she picked at the heavy leather boots lined with rabbit fur that hugged her feet.

"You'll get used to them, girl." Yrden turned to the portal wall.

"But they pinch my feet and squish my toes together... I don't think I could fight let alone walk fast enough to keep up with you."

"You'll learn," Yrden said coldly. "Oh, I nearly forgot. You'll need these."

Yrden turned to a long-chest that had gone unnoticed by Saidy. He opened the latch and pulled out two swords. Saidy's eyes sparkled as he handed her the blades.

Both were encased in a black leather scabbard with gold filigree decorating it. The hilts were all black with ornate design that cupped into a backguard. She pulled one of the blades to inspect it.

"They're made from moonsteel. It's a rare ore only found in The Abyss. You'll never need to care for the blade because moonsteel always holds its edge. It's also conducive with magical energy, so it will allow you to defend yourself against spells," Yrden explained.

The blades were a peerless silver that shone like the moon on a cloudless night. They were perfectly straight with a curve at the tip. The backside of the blade; however, was serrated, and the width was no more than two fingers. It was clear these blades were designed for speed over power. Making quick, precise strikes would be easy, and the design was sure to penetrate even the smallest crevices of armor.

"They're beautiful," Saidy marveled as she buckled the belt attached to them and adjusted the blades on her hips. "Thank you."

"Well, you'd be a burden if I had to defend myself and you. Do not grow complacent, girl. The storm will be the least of our worries on this journey. Now come."

Yrden waived his hand as the wall dissolved into a whirlpool of magical energy. Saidy didn't dally, and she donned her hood as she followed Yrden into the raging storm beyond.

She became very thankful for the clothes after mere seconds of being in the storm. Torrents of water pelted her from all angles as she half jogged to keep up with Yrden's stride. The thick wool and leather boots did well to keep the water away from her. However, the cloak whipped around until she grabbed the edges and pulled it close as the wind threatened to slice through her clothes and into her bone.

***

Saidy wasn't quite sure when the storm finally broke. It wasn't until the first rays pierced the clouds above that she took notice. She'd escaped the misery of the storm like she did any other—by letting her mind drift on the currents of memory.

Saidy pulled her hood back, closing her eyes as her damp hair cascaded over her back, breathing in the scent of the passed storm. It was her favorite smell, the fresh rain. For Saidy, it was the only smell that removed the odor of blood from her nose.

"Do you see that ahead?" Yrden asked, jarring Saidy from her thoughts.

She hadn't realized she'd fallen so far behind and jogged to see what Yrden was pointing too. In the distance, stood four peaks that pierced the greenery like sharp fangs—each one hoisted in a cardinal direction.

"That is the valley that surrounds the Eye of Life, the largest lake in all Tallenhiem," he said. "In the center, beyond a land bridge, is Le'Dria. We'll be stopping there for supplies before venturing over the mountains."

"But won't we get frozen in time if we step foot on the mountains?"

"No, there is a pass that leads into the desert that rests outside of time barrier. Even if we passed through it, we'd not be frozen, but there are many perils that still move within the confines of time."

Saidy shuttered to think what sorts of monsters lurked in a place where time stood still.

"Come, girl. Don't trail behind."

It didn't take long before the two walked over the crest of the valley and gazed upon Le'Dria. Saidy's heart froze, for the design was clearly onian architecture.

The buildings were made of white moonstone with red oak beams that supported it and red shingled roofs. Fishing boats dotted the lake, and there was a land bridge that crossed to the island the town stood upon. Barren trees with vines kissed the water's still surface.

"As I'm sure you've noticed, the inhabitants of this town are mostly oni," Yrden said. "However, they are not the same oni you're accustomed too. These are the oni that chose a different path. You needn't fear them."

Saidy swallowed the lump in her throat. At least she had her swords to defend herself with should Yrden be wrong.