Reflection

"Again, you waste my magic!" Yrden scolded as he threw Saidy into his room.

Saidy stumbled across the rickety floorboards, catching herself on the bed: "I'm sorry, master."

"What did I say back in the mountains, and what did I say when we reached Zizarra?"

Yrden closed the door behind him and removed his hood. Saidy saw his face contorting—lips pursed, brows knitting together, yet in his eyes, shone disappointment. She wondered why. Had it been he felt guilt over leaving her alone then coming back to see her having to defend herself against so many brutes? No, she thought, he wouldn't know what happened, but then...

"Where were your swords?"

"I... I left them in my room to go to the bath..." Saidy looked at her feet, taking a seat on the bed's edge.

"You left them? Knowing full well the dangers that lurk in this city?"

"I didn't think—"

"That's right!" Yrden interjected," You didn't think! Girl, you must always carry your weapons with you at all times; accept, when in my home. They are you best defense against man, oni, or anything!"

"Yes, master." She watched as the toe of her boots fought for dominance over each other, one stepping on the other.

Yrden sighed, his face softening: "It's not entirely your fault this time. I shouldn't have left you alone so long. You're a beautiful girl. Men are not like the oni. You must understand this. They will take what they want from you."

Saidy felt her skin ripple with disgust at the thought of a man taking her body. It didn't help that her heart was still pounding from it almost happening too. She arced her neck this way and that as if the movement would avoid the horrid thoughts that chased her mind.

"Do you understand what I'm talking about?" Yrden asked.

"I do... I've seen slaves rape other slaves in the pits and dungeons. I was always lucky because I was able to kill them first, and then had my own cell, but one of them did teach me about sex... and rape." Flashes of the vile act finally succeeded in forcing their way into her mind.

"You're safe now. Go to your room and get some sleep. Don't leave your weapons unattended again, understand?"

"Yes, master."

Saidy pushed herself off the bed. The floor protested her every step as she made her way to the door.

"Oh, I almost forgot."

Saidy paused, peering over her shoulder as Yrden pulled something from under his cloak.

"This is for you. We'll start on it tomorrow when we sail back to Xalta," he said, handing Saidy a book.

She took it with care, caressing the embossed leather spine. The edges were framed in shimmering gold, and something Saidy couldn't read was written in the same gold across its face. Regardless, the gifts Yrden gave her were the only things she'd ever been given other than her own cell and wooden planks to train with. To Saidy, those weren't gifts, but investments to ensure her Dolletus' winnings.

These were true gifts given out of thoughtfulness. Clothes to keep her safe and warm on her travels, a book for Yrden to teach her to read from, swords forged by her father. Although she knew Yrden couldn't have known her father was Yutan, the master dwarven smith, the coincidence still resonated in her heart.

"T-thank you..." she said still staring at the book.

A few drops landed on the cover as her fingers danced around the lettering. Outside, the ocean roared into the night as a few shorebirds squawked, protesting some drunkards who'd stirred them from their sleep.

Yrden scratched at the back of his head, his eyes unsure of where to look. "You need to start learning how to read; otherwise, you'll never be able to do what I ask of you. Now go. It's late, and I grow tired."

The hinges on the door groaned as it closed behind Saidy. In her room, she stared out her window at the star-filled sky as wisps of black clouds flowed like rivers across the night. A silver moon was just beginning to rise over the black water of the ocean.

Saidy felt the loneliness creep into her heart as it'd done so many times in her first years of slavery, long before her soul had died, the only mercy she'd ever known while in captivity. She wanted desperately to tell her brother of all the wonders she'd witnessed in her short time in world, but as soon as the thought of him crossed her mind, the likeness she'd seen in the illusion back in the sand ocean burst into her thoughts.

He would be about that age, and his face; although older, was still as stoic as ever. What if he'd somehow escaped into the desert, she wondered.

Her breath caught in her throat. What if her brother had become one of the arakbal? How else would the creature know what her brother looked like?

Saidy buried her face in the neck of her cloak as she heaved sobs into the fabric. Having a moment alone since escaping the oni, the weight of her predicament became fully realized. She'd never had a moment to think about how her family had been taken from her. She'd never felt safe enough to mourn them, or to realize how much she wished she'd had them.

These feelings were foreign to her.

A gentle breeze wafted in through window and wrapped itself around her as she sucked snot back into her nose, trying to catch her breath between sobs. At that moment, Saidy wanted for nothing but to feel the love she once had when her family was still alive.

Somewhere between the gentle sea breeze and the rhythmic percussion of the waves crashing against the red sand, Saidy awoke to the sun cresting over the horizon. The ocean turned to liquid gold in its unending light, and a swift knocking stirred her from her covers.

"Let's go, girl. I'll not wait all day for you to wake and ready yourself. We've a long journey, and I need to get to work!"

She was reminded by his harsh tone that Yrden was her master—not her father—even though in his own way, he'd shown concern for her safety again last night. Saidy collected her swords and affixed the belt holding them to her waist before opening the door. His black veil had returned. Saidy found it curious that he only revealed his face to her when they were alone.

"Good. You're awake. Come."

"As you wish, master," Saidy said as she followed him down into the taproom.

The inn was rather empty in comparison to the night before, and the innkeeper was dutifully sweeping the hopeless floor of sand. Saidy and Yrden sat at one of the tables, and it wasn't long before Yrden was able to capture the attention of the hostess.

"Yer up awfully early. What'll ya have?" she said, propping herself on the broom handle as the bristles crumbled underneath her weight.

"Whatever's hot. We must be on our way," Yrden said, handing her a few silver and shooing her away.

No sooner than she disappeared through the kitchen door did she return with two wooden bowls and spoons filled with meel, a gelatinous pasty dish that tasted just as it appeared.

Saidy had once considered this a delicacy as it was only served to her before a tournament took place in Reich. Meel would fill a slave who was used to scraps for days which was how long the tournaments would last. The oni didn't want to spend their time or money carting slaves to and from their homes and feeding them, so the dish would be served the night before and the slaves locked away in animal cages, left to sleep in the pit they would soon die in.

Yrden and Saidy ate in silence, and she soon found herself back at the edge of the sand ocean as Yrden piled his pack into a skiff. Without a word, she hopped in after him, and they began their journey back to the Garden of Life.