Chapter 4: Piper

Now that school is back in session, The Royal Fox has been busier than ever. The British pub is close to campus and a popular spot for college students. Luckily, I was recently promoted to bartender this summer. The tips help pay rent and my expensive science text books.

Tonight, it seems, the campus came out in full force. Every sorority and fraternity is represented and even the sports teams. My eyes are automatically drawn to the hockey table. Can't help but search to see if my new lab partner is here. He is, sadly, I mean thankfully, absent.

I didn't have time to go home between class and work to change, so I am still wearing his jersey. A big DANIELS 04 is printed on the back. It might as well be a billboard saying I screwed him. Which I didn't. And wouldn't. Maybe. I have to admit though, the masculine smell of his jersey is entirely tantalizing.

But I want to make tips tonight, so I tied the oversized jersey with a hair band on the side and fashioned it into a tight shirt allowing a peep of my flat belly to show. I may be a smart nerdy girl, but that doesn't mean I am a prude and ugly. I'm cute. So, yes, I feel the need to exploit the fact and flirt a bit to get better tips. Not exactly feminist, I know. My quality service and amazing drinks should be enough to warrant awesome tips, but turns out men who act like prehistoric cavemen like to drink so I have to work the crowd appropriately.

Carmen, my pledge class sorority sister and best friend, is sitting at the bar and so is David Cho. Both are keeping me company while I work. I enticed them with a free beer and French fries. David is reading our chapters from our chem book aloud so we can study together and Carmen is making googily eyes at a Sigma sitting with his bros.

The front door chimes. Out of habit I glance up. In comes Sawyer wearing basket-ball shorts and a U of M tank top. A backwards hat covers his sandy-blonde hair and his waives curl out of it. My stomach tightens at the sight. His large perfectly tan shoulders and biceps are on full display in the muscle shirt. He's tall. Really tall. I can't pull my eyes away. He spots his team mates and he shakes some of their hands and gives some the "bro-hug." You know, the hug where they shake hands first and keep it between them when they hug so they don't actually touch. Men.

"Looking at the Bohr model of an atom the sub-shell can hold... Piper are you listening?"

"What?" I ask David snapping out of my daze. I grab a bar towel and wipe the bar top. "Yup. Bohr. Sub-shells. Got it."

Carmen catches my line of sight. "Oh, Sawyer Daniels." She tilts her head and inspects me. "How did you come to wear his jersey again?"

I sigh. She thinks there's more to the story. "I already told you, Carmen. He nearly killed me and coffee and a white shirt. Don't read into it."

"I can't believe he's your lab partner. I'm really sorry, I even chose my partner last hoping you'd show up in time, but Saunders made me choose," David says.

I wave my bar towel at him. "It's fine. Hopefully."

"Personally, I wouldn't mind having him as my lab partner, maybe it could extend out of the classroom, if you know what I mean," Carmen says with a wink. No doubt if she were his lab partner, it would extend outside of the classroom. She's a fiery gorgeous Latina, like a mini Sofia Vergara.

David observes Sawyer. "Oh c'mon. Is that really what women are into? 'Me big and strong. I smash. I take pretty woman to cave now.'"

Carmen and David laugh. "I could give him something to smash," Carmen replies.

I roll my eyes. "Surprisingly, he could string together full sentences and conjugate verbs. He also said he got the highest score on the bio 300 final last year."

"No way," David replies.

I shrug.

I continue wiping the bar and dare to glance at the hockey table only to find Sawyer's gaze locked on me. My breath hitches. Being on the receiving end of those blue eyes of his is intense, in the best way. His eyes rove over me, eyeing the thin slice of bare skin of my stomach showing. His lopsided smile appears as he saunters over to me.

"Hey Kitty Cat."

His deep baritone encompasses me warmly. Almost makes me like the nick name. almost. "Please don't call me that. I have a name, you know."

"Oh yeah, what was it? Poppy? Pippy Long-stocking?" 

I purse my lips. 

"I'm just playing, Piper." He observes the bar. "I didn't know you work here."

"I didn't know you come here," I retort.

"It's a rarity. Got to keep my hot bod in shape for the hockey season." He pauses and his eyes roam over me. "Never had a reason to come here often. But maybe I do now."

Is he serious? He seems serious. Is he hitting on me? Like for real?

He shakes his head and snaps out of whatever trance he was in. Clearing his throat, he adds, "I mean, for studying. Ya know, might be easy to do here."

I nod. "Right. Studying." I lick my lips. His eyes follow the motion. For some reason, I like that they did. My heart picks up in pace.

Quirking his head he adds, "Still wearing the jersey, I see."

Feeling stupid, I continue wiping the bar top to give my hands something to do. I should have changed. Wearing someone's jersey on campus makes a statement. "Don't let it get to your head, I didn't have time to change. Don't worry, I'll get it back to you tomorrow."

"No. Keep it." My eyes snap to his. "It looks better on you." He catches his bottom lip in his teeth. Holy fucking hotness.

I smack the rag on the bar. "Do you give all your lab partners your jerseys?"

"I've never given anyone my jersey before."

His words sink in. "Not even the blonde A.I. I saw you with?" I don't know why I ask. I sound jealous. I grab the cherry Chapstick out of my pocket and apply it. Then I reapply it three more times. Four times total.

"Isn't that enough Chapstick?"

Giving him a small smile I push it back into my pocket. "My lips were dry."

"And blonde A.I.?" He asks answering my earlier question. "Oh. Cute. Alpha Iota. Artificial Intelligence." He laughs. "You mean Jessica. No. actually I broke up with her today."

Cute. Did he call me cute? My cheeks burn. 

I realize I'm standing there without speaking. "Sorry. About you and Jessica." 

Thank god a drink rings in at the printer behind me. I whip away and gather ingredients for a strawberry margarita.

"I ended things. Didn't want to string her along. I just wasn't interested in her." He says to my back.

I place the drink at the service bar. "Right," I reply. Facing him, I find a grin on his face. "What?"

"I think I like a pretty girl with my name on her."

I roll my eyes. "Cocky ass."

He smiles and leans in to whisper, "Although, my whole hockey team thinks we're fucking."

I stiffen. Part of me thinks 'yes please' the other part is pissed off. Guys like that spread nasty rumors. "Did you correct them?" My voice is deadly serious.

He shrugs. 

So that would be a 'no.'

I shake my head. Anger boils through me. Sawyer effing Daniels. 

Not thinking straight, I drag the jersey over my head and chuck hard it at him in the face. "There. Maybe that will set them straight."

Sawyer's mouth drops open. And so does half the restaurant. I peer down to find my mostly see-through wearing blue lacy bra.

Oh holy crap.

I totally forgot I removed my white tank top underneath because it dried stiff with sugary coffee.

Well...hopefully tips will be good tonight.