Chapter 11: Sawyer

The rest of Wednesday came and went. I hadn't heard from Kitty since she ran off after our fucking fantastic make  session. Didn't think she was one for a public romp, but I may have misjudged her because it seemed to be heading that way until she freaked.

 And fuck me if she isn't the sexiest thing. Drunk on her lavender scent, I kissed my way down her neck. He perfect round ass underneath my hands. She must do some kind of work out—yoga or squats, because damn. The way she reacted so instinctually rubbing against my cock. Plus, she made the first move. It definitely had taken me by surprise. She surprised me.

 Then she ran off, left me with blue balls and to finish the lab assignment by myself. I took her stuff with me since she abandoned everything. I assume her cell was in her pocket because I didn't see it in her school bag. So I've been waiting for her to reach out. Surely she can't go this long without wanting to study her notes. She's probably dying to know how the rest of the lab went without her and if I successfully completed it.

 Yet, here I am in the student union midafternoon Thursday spying on the Zeta couch like some stalker. I know she has Bio 300 today, not because I really am a stalker but before there is only one section.

 I take a sip of coffee and check my phone for the millionth time. Nothing from her. Others, yes. But not from her. I frown. After half an hour I toss my cold coffee in the trash and call it quits.

 Halfway home my phone chimes. Even though I'm driving, I see Kitty lit up in a message bubble on my screen. Impatient to read what she has to say, I pull to the side of the road. All the text says is So...

 So what? So let's finish what we started yesterday? So yesterday was amazing. I reply immediately, I've never been one to play games. So...?

Bubbles pop up and disappear several times like she's trying to decide what exactly to say. My lips tug into a corner imagining her flustered. Finally, her message comes. So...we have our first Bio exam on Monday. You still willing to help me? 

Not exactly the message I was hoping for. She's toeing around me. I won't let her off so easy. Why wouldn't I still help you? Still pulled to the side of the road, I wait. And wait. After five minutes I assume she won't respond, I toss my phone on the empty passenger seat and head back on my way.

 At home, I turn on Game of Thrones and make some Grilled chicken on our George Forman grill. After two episodes full of fucking and fighting, I realize I don't have my phone. I grab it out of my Jeep to find a chain full of frantic messages from Piper.

Because I basically attacked you in the chem storage room. Five minutes later she sent a second one. I'm sorry. Ten minutes a third message. Please forgive me, say something. Twenty minutes after that, Okay. Well I understand if you don't want to help me. I really am sorry. Then an hour after that Hello? Then another right after that Wait, you're not going to stop being my lab partner, are you? And one last one twenty minutes ago Well, I have work so if you do decide you forgive me, I may not respond.

 I am about to draft a "You don't have anything to be sorry about except for the blue balls" message but then I decide I'd rather tell her in person and maybe remedy the ball situation. I have her book bag anyway, I'm sure she's dying to get it back.

 The front door slams and Maverick and Jones stride in the house talking about some Alpha Iotas. I can't help but think of them as anything but AI's now.

 "'Sup bro? Where have you been? You've been MIA," Maverick says.

 "The semester is already killing me," I reply.

 Jones kicks off his shoes and dives on the other couch. "You should have majored in something easier. I don't have to do much for kinesiology." 

Oh, kinesiology. The major all athletes do. If they don't make a professional sport, they can be a PE teacher and coach it. 

"You're crazy for doing pre-med."

 "Well, you know the deal, my dad wouldn't pay if I didn't do pre-med." 

 "Prick." Maverick says. 

I can't disagree. 

"Is he coming to the game?"

 "Him and Daisy are supposedly coming."

 "Daisy is coming? Maybe I should get her something." 

I groan. 

"What? She says I'm her boyfriend." 

Daisy has a crush on Maverick. Maverick humors her and spoils her as a result. One of the reasons he's my best friend.

 "Anyways, I'm about to head to the Royal Fox. Ya guys wanna roll with me?"

 "We have a game tomorrow," Jones replies.

 "Just one quick beer. I need to unwind." And to woo a girl. 

Maverick raises a suspicious brow at me. 

"Fine, don't come. I'll fly solo."

 "Nah, hold up. I'll come," Maverick says. "Jones?"

 "I'm good. I got a date with Khaleesi." 

     *~*

 Walking into the pub, stale beer and lacquered wood accosts me. My eyes unconsciously snap to the bar. Kitty is staring off in space chewing on her lip. She looks worried and doesn't even notice the guy at the end of the bar waiving at her for a refill. She's wearing Nikes and black athletic leggings that hug her ass just so god damn perfectly.

 "Piper." A guy in a tie says behind her and nods his head to the customer. She looks like she mouths 'sorry' and helps the guy. Must be her manager. When she bends over to wash the customer's empty glass on the spinning brush thing in the sink, he ogles her ass. I clench my fist. 

He walks up behind her and places his hand on the small of her back and whispers something in her ear. She stands up straighter, clearly uncomfortable. Unwelcome advances then.

It's enough to spur me forward. I stalk to the bar glad it's still warm enough to wear athletic tanks to show my impressive muscles. I'm a big guy and fuck yeah, I'm proud. It takes a lot of work and discipline.

 He's still too close to her when I reach the bar. "Hey babe. Sorry I missed your texts, figured I'd come visit you and keep you company." 

Her lips spread into a genuine smile. 

The manager eyes me suspiciously. Right back at ya buddy.

Maverick hovers behind me before he takes a seat on a barstool. There's a smirk on his lips. Yes, you fuck wad, I came here for a girl. The manager surveys the two of us, two giant walls of muscles. Satisfied, I smile at him.

The manager places his hand on the small of Piper's back again and her smile immediately disappears. "Are these two friends of yours, Piper?"

I don't give her time to respond. Instead, I lift her book bag in the air. "You left this with me." I choose my words carefully. I could say you forgot this at school or you left without this in chem class, but I want him to think she left it at my house.

Her smile is back, and she bounces around the bar to grab it. 

I yank it out of her reach. "Not so fast," I lean into her ear and drop my voice so only she can hear. "You can attack me anytime." 

Her eyes lock mine and an adorable pink blush spreads over her cheeks. God, I want her so bad. I dip my eyes to her lips and bend toward her, until a throat clears behind us.

"Piper, may I remind you you are working right now." 

I groan inwardly and shoot daggers at the guy. She pushes a strand of her ink black hair behind an ear and I hand the bag to her.