Chapter 5: Sawyer

My mouth drops open as I look at Piper's perfect tits in that damn blue lace bra again. It doesn't hide much to the imagination. Fuck. I can't help but notice how they'd fit in each of my palms. A perfect handful. My cock twitches.  

Apparently all the guys at the bar are thinking the same thing as hoots, hollers, and whistles come.

"Take it off." Someone yells. Another guy is throwing money at the bar. I see red. No one but me should be looking at her. Woah. Where did that come from? I'm not actually dating her.

Jumping into action I dash behind the bar and hand her back my jersey before I shove her behind me, using my large body as a shield. "Nothing to see here, gentlemen. Avert your eyes, men!" I shout to the bar. Over my shoulder I look at Piper. Her face is red. "Put that back on."

"No."

She doesn't move from out behind me but she also doesn't want to wear my jersey. Clearly I pissed her off. I face her, making sure I am still blocking everyone's view. "What, are you going to wear just a bra all night?"

"If I have to." She thankfully crosses her arms over her chest. I can't think straight when she's on full display like that. "You're not supposed to be behind the bar," she adds.

I fold my arms too. "And I'm sure you're not supposed to only wear a bra behind the bar. Just put my damn jersey back on."

"Don't tell me what to do!"

I groan. "Will you just put it back on? I'm sorry okay. I'll tell them we aren't doing the dirty deed. Hell I'll tell the whole bar. Just cover yourself up. Please?"

At my please, something flickers in her strange cat eyes.

I don't know why I'm begging her. She's only my lab partner. I shouldn't care. But if I am honest with myself, I like my jersey on her and everyone thinking she is mine. 

She sighs. "Fine. But you better tell them." Yanking the jersey from my hands, she slides it back over her head and I watch as every inch of her skin disappears from sight.

I could write a very sexy short story on that image alone.

I face the bar again and this time I announce, "Piper Santos and I are absolutely not fucking. She is only wearing my jersey because I'm an asshole and nearly ran her over and destroyed her shirt. So being my chivalrous self, I gave her my jersey. Also we are lab partners." I don't know why I add the last part. I look at her from over my shoulder. "Better?" She nods. "So what can I do to get a beer at this place?"

~**~

A quarter till ten, Maverick and I are two of three customers left in the pub. The third customer is a guy I've seen around in some of my science classes. He's been here all night. Every so often Piper stops by him and they chat. He looks like he's reading to her out of a textbook. I can't help but notice the way his eyes linger on her a little too long when she walks away from him. The sight angers me. Are they dating?

Even though we have a server, I decide to get a beer at the bar. A cheap excuse to talk to Piper again. I stand next to the guy seated at the bar and look over his shoulder. It's our chemistry book. I eye him next. I guess he is good looking for a nerd. Fit. Not as muscular as me. Good.

Piper heads our direction when she spots me. "Another IPA?"

I look down at the guy to my left. "I thought we had a deal? Now you're studying without me?" I hope the jealousy in my voice comes out as concerned over my grade.

She arches a brow. "We are just getting ahead on our reading."

We.

I rotate to the man in question. "Hey I'm Sawyer by the way. Sawyer Daniels." I extend my hand. He takes it and I grip his tightly. Maybe too tight.

"Yeah I know who you are," he replies. "Everyone does."

I smirk and Piper scoffs. "And you would be...?"

"I'm Daniel. Piper's friend. We've taken the same chemistry classes since freshman year."

Friend. Yet, he's sat here all night pining for her. A little like me I realize. 

"Right," I reply. "I actually just want to close my tab, Piper." I don't know why I sat here all night drinking calories, I'll have to do extra tomorrow to burn them off.

Something flickers in her eyes, almost like she's disappointed I am leaving. I tap fingers my hands on the bar top. "You know what, on second thought, how about one more?"

Maverick comes up behind me. "Yo' bro, I'm taking off. You coming?"

"Actually we are all studying for chemistry so I'm going to have one more." I gesture down at David and his book. I don't know why I say that instead of saying I want one more beer but I feel the need to justify the situation.

Maverick looks confused. "Okay. Well suit yourself. Drive safe, man."

David closes the textbook. "Actually I was ready to take off."

I give him a tight lipped smile. "No sweat man. I've had too much beer to talk science anyways. Have a good night." I take a seat at the bar when Piper brings over my beer.

He looks unsure what to do. I think he expected me to leave then, he at least didn't expect me to brush him off so easily.

"I'll see you in class on Monday," Piper says to him. She too brushes him off.

He nods. "Okay. See ya." He glances at me warily.

I smile. "Nice meeting you, man."