55 ❀ Our only hope

Klepto POV

Klepto POV

Walking up the steps of the office building is like taking steps with cinder blocks tied to my ankles. It's not exactly easy.

Savannah holds the door open for us. She watches me carefully with her cream colored eyes. They are strange looking against her tan, Native American skin. She waits for me to enter with a critical eye.

I'm aware of Ezra's hand at the small of my back. He tries to lead me inside but I hesitate a bit. I stop and gaze into the building warily.

At this point, I'm beyond nervous. It's as if a million little ants are crawling under my skin. I know it's not from the cool temperatures, I am definitely anxious to get this over with.

I file inside slowly. King Veiler is standing there waiting for our arrival. He looks over my head at the two lycans standing behind me. I just now realize that they're his second and third in command.

I'm surrounded by a team of all powerful lycans. They communicate seamlessly without even a word spoken between them. Their eyes and expressions tell all. A wordless conversation passes that I'm not a part of.

It seems to me that Ezra would fits in very nicely with them.

"You lead us. This is your plan after all." Says Veiler, his voice a deep, burning rumble in the long hallway. I glance up at him. He's so large that it's hard to think straight, he's bigger than Ezra. He takes up the whole space with his broad shoulders and overwhelming strength.

I scoot past him and head towards the place that is ingrained in my mind. I know the way like it's tattooed on my skin.

When I'm finally faced with the door I stop and stare at the wood. I turn my head to look at Ezra for guidance. He gives me a soft smile and a simple nod, encouraging me to go ahead.

It's all the reassurance I need.

I give a light knock. We only have to wait a few seconds before the door swings open.

Dr. Paullini is on the other side. He looks down at me and then over my head at the three beasts waiting patiently at my shoulders. His mouth opens a little, forming a small circle in surprise. He leans back a little bit.

"Good morning Doctor. Do you mind if we, uh, talk?" I ask. I'm feeling awkward now. This silence is never ending. All I can hear is five pairs of lungs breathing and five hearts pounding.

I bite the inside of my cheek as every emotion imaginable crosses Dr.Paullini's features. He pushes his half moon glasses up his nose and nods fervently. His head goes up and down like a bobble head.

"Of course, of course. I was expecting your visit, but I had no idea there would be so many of you." As my therapist steps out of the way, holding open the old door, I make my way inside and take a deep, reminiscent smell of the little room I've spent so many hours in.