One

"What do you think, princess?"

"It's a pink dress..." The maid nods smiling behind me while I look at my reflection in the mirror from head to toe, frowning. "Pink... again..." I grumble angrily. "All my clothes are soft pink, soft violet, light blue..."

"Well, you're a princess in a fairy tale, what were you expecting, Aranel?" My old nanny comes into the room and stares at me baffled before bending down to take my clothes scattered around and shove them in the trunks.

"I don't know... maybe something in a red colour? Or what about black?"

"BLACK?!?!?! No daughter of mine will dress in black, that's the colour witches wear!"

"Hi, daddy." I smile happily when the king walks in the bedroom, even if he's looking at me with a furrowed brow, and I run to hug him. I only need some seconds to soften him up and he smiles like a dopey while stroking my long brown hair.

"Hello, my precious princess, how are you doing this morning?" I pout sadly while leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I don't want another pink dress," I kick the floor angrily. Usually, I get what I want from him when I threaten with bursting into tears but I don't know if I'll be able to get my way this time. Since the moment he got engaged with my 'soon to be' stepmother, he's become more intransigent. I don't like the influence of that woman over my father.

"You can order one in blue, anyway you'll be the most beautiful maid of honour of the whole world in my wedding day..." the king smiles pinching my cheek while I show another pout. I don't want another blue dress.

"What if I order one in green?" My dad stares at the ceiling pensively and my maid and nanny hold their breaths waiting for his answer, they know I can throw epic tantrums when they refuse to give me something I want.

"Soft green matching the leaves of the white flowers bouquets... it'd be gorgeous. All right." I smile happily, clapping my hands and jumping of joy all over the room... I finally got it, something different, it's not red but at least it'll be a change.

"Thank you, dad. You're the best king of the whole world." I hug him again while he shakes his head amused before looking at me seriously.

"Listen ,sweetheart, we'll celebrate my wedding next week and you'll be the date of the son of my fiancée Felizia during the pre-wedding party... Phillip is a good boy, I want you to be kind to him, please."

"Dad, you know I'm always kind to everybody, I'm a perfect and well-behaved princess..." I answer proudly, curtsying deeply in front of him like I do when I'm in the throne room.

"I know, Aranel, buy I mean you should talk to him and maybe dance with him... you know..."

"Dad, it's a party, of course I'm going to dance... I don't understand what you're talking about."

"Of course you don't understand, you're my precious innocent child... Come on, go to the dressmaker and order your new green outfit. I'll see you at lunchtime." My father leaves my bedroom while my maid rushes to untie the ribbons of the dress on my back and my nanny stares at me raising an eyebrow.

"I think your father wants you to flirt with your stepmother's son, it's pretty clear that they both wish you'd get married: the two kids of the monarchs would be the heirs too..."

"Yes, I know, I've understood him from the beginning... I'm not dumb..." I answer grimacing. The dress lands at my feet and my two servants look at me shocked.

"But if you've understood him, why didn't you tell the king?"

"I don't want to flirt with Phillip or marry him... he's ugly. You can't turn that frog into a prince not even with a dozen of kisses."