FOUR (Aranel POV)

"Ruby..."

"Mmmm..." The witch leans over her cauldron and throws some herbs, steam rises into the air and wraps her face with a blueish cloud while a smirk spreads through her lips and her eyes gleam mischievously... Suddenly, she looks like the sorceress she really is, only more beautiful than the tales say. Butterflies flutter in my stomach again and this time I know what it means although I can't help blushing thinking about it. Actually, I can't stop thinking about it and I believe my wife knows it but she behaves cautiously and it can take several days before she gives me another lesson in spite of my eagerness... Ruby explained me that anticipation is part of this game and she finds it amusing... I don't know if I agree with her.

"I'd like to..." My hesitant tone of voice catches her attention and looks at me raising an eyebrow while the fire lights up her chiselled jaw and leaves the other side of her face in the shadows. A shiver runs down my spine and I remember that, when the witch gets angry, bad things happen. "My dad must be worried about me and it's been more than I week since I had news from the court, since you confronted Malizia... I'd like to see him..." My wife clenches her jaw even harder and I rush to explain. "In your mirror, I mean, I'd never ask you to leave the forest in order to visit the castle."

"Are you willing to burn your hands just to check on a man who tried to marry you to an idiot in order to make his future wife happy? A guy so easily influenced that risked his life and his daughter's life because of a bad bitch?" Ruby moves away from the fire place and gets closer to me, she looks calmed so I dare to answer despite her temper is volatile and she could get really furious.

"He's my father and was under the influence of a spell so I'm not holding that against him..."

"You too..." My wife flops down on a chair next to me and looks at me carefully.

"Sorry, what?"

"You also were under the influence of a spell, the whole court was, they all believed that Malizia was Felizia, beautiful and kind, a great future queen... However, you were able to see through the magic and she didn't deceive you. Despite being a spoiled little princess, you have a strong will and maybe a sixth sense to perceive magical energy... That's interesting, I wonder if you can learn some simple tricks..."

"Ruby..." I insist when she remains silent, looking at me pensively. Her mirror with silver frame flies from the shelf to the table in front of me and shows me an image of my father in his office talking to my old nanny, he seems to be tired but doesn't look bad.

"I'll send him a message so he knows you're okay and maybe later we can go to the castle for a visit, when I find out where Malizia is and what she's up to... I don't believe for a second that she's forgotten about my insults and we're not taking any risks for now, please be patient, okay?" I nod, feeling relieved, and look down at my lap. "What are you doing?"

"Embroidering one of your black shirts with silver thread... it's a simple pattern of leaves and flowers around the cuffs but I can embroider birds too if you prefer them." Ruby leans forward in order to take a closer look and smiles, rubbing the fabric with her index.

"It's beautiful, you're good at this."

"Yes, it's basically the only thing I'm good at. I'm a stupid princess..."

"That's not true," my wife cuts me off abruptly. "You were smart when you decided to stay with me and you can learn whatever you want... For example, do you want to cook? But before I have to empty the cauldron, wait..." The witch puts some glass bottles on the table and takes the handle carefully to avoid a burn, when she pours the content in the bottles I realize that the liquid is bright blue and smells of bitter herbs.