CHAPTER FIVE - Tailgating

A month later was Renegade's first football game. He was so nervous before the game at Timberwolf Stadium, Timber had sent him to school with a large helping of homemade deer jerky, a pulled pork sandwich with thick slices of bacon, and a few hard-boiled eggs to eat for lunch. She was just as nervous as he was but for different reasons. Her nerves were affecting her motivation so she stopped her chores after she emptied the dishwasher. She wanted to spend the day while he was at school taking a rare day off.

Timber was a stay-at-home mom, but she was a busy woman. She did the usual things that other women did, such as dishes, cleaning, and laundry, but she also ironed, grew her own vegetables and herbs, and cooked nearly every meal from scratch including all of the bread the family consumed. On top of that, she sewed Renegade's and Axel's clothes if they ripped, which happened frequently, and she kept up on her training for an hour every day before Henry left for work. She also volunteered at the local food bank every two weeks and she read to the elementary school kids once a month. She woke up early and went to bed late every day. Timber usually got six hours of sleep every night but it was enough for her.

Timber wanted to rest before the football game rather than do her usual busy routine so she was soaking in a hot bubble bath with a glass of red wine, candles, and soothing piano music playing quietly in the background. The plan was some rare self-pampering before a short nap. She was enjoying the feeling of her face mask when she heard the door to the garage open and close. It was only ten in the morning. Suspecting that someone had snuck over her back fence, she got out of the tub, Turned, and went on stalking mode. Her steps were completely silent as she moved through her bedroom and down the hallway, ready to defend her home. When she entered the living room, she saw Henry taking off his jacket. She stopped and Turned.

"I'm sorry," he said, smiling slightly at his bare wife. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Why are you home so early?" asked Timber. "Are you alright?"

"I caught a bug," said Henry. He was pale and his nose was bright red. "Nasty one, too. It hit me suddenly. I felt fine a couple of hours ago."

"Here, you lay down. I'm going to drain the bath and cover myself up."

"Forget that last part," said Henry, grinning slightly.

Timber giggled and went back to the bathroom. She rinsed off, drained the water and rinsed down the bubbles. She took the last sip of wine and covered herself with her silk robe. She went back into the living room to find Henry in his chair with his eyes closed. He wasn't sleeping but Timber was quiet nonetheless. She covered him with a blanket and he opened his eyes. He looked up at her with disappointed eyes. Timber smiled at him and put her finger to his lips before he could protest her robe.

"When you're better," she promised and he smiled. "I'm going to make you some soup and you're going to sleep. You're not going to miss Renegade's first game."

"You're an angel," said Henry.

"No, I'm a wolf," said Timber.

Henry laughed, choked, and then coughed into his hand. Timber checked his forehead and found him too warm for her comfort. She turned on the ceiling fan and went to make him a bowl of hot soup. Timber was rarely ever forceful but when someone was sick, she demanded aggressively that they rested. The only one exempt from her rule was herself but she was rarely ill. She poured the canned soup into a bowl and put it in the microwave. When it was finished she brought it to Henry. He looked at her as if to tell her he didn't want it, but he thought against saying anything and ate without complaint. Timber took the bowl when it was empty and put it into the sink.

To help him sleep, she made him a Hot Toddy with a shot of bourbon. She handed it to him. Then she darkened the house and recovered him. He looked at her with grateful eyes and emptied the glass in one sitting. He set it down and closed his eyes. He was fast asleep in his recliner five minutes later.