CHAPTER SIX - Sebastian's Gift

Timber walked in and looked around at the field. It looked nothing like it did when she had gone to school here. The field was worn with faded lines and a dirt track that had only patches of gravel back then. Thanks to a large donation from Timber and Henry as well as government funding, the stadium was given a massive overhaul. The track was now made from recycled tires and polyurethane for weather protection. The football field was laid with astroturf. The yard lines and numbers were crisp and white, the end zones had FORT BRAGG and TIMBERWOLVES painted in purple and grey. The center of the field had a purple wolf head painted in the middle of a circle.

The bleachers had been left alone at Timbers request but they had been thoroughly cleaned and the stands were repainted. The high school had tried to change the stadium name to Santelli Stadium but Timber and Henry actively rejected the change despite the support of the town so it remained the Timberwolf Stadium. They did put Santelli on the new digital scoreboard as a tribute. Henry objected but Timber had given up and allowed it.

The group took their seats in the bleachers and watched as the stands filled with people. It was common for the first game of the season to be sold out. The stands were filling fast but Timber smelled someone familiar. She looked toward the entrance and saw a head of blonde hair bouncing in the crowd between a man with dark hair and a couple Timber had known for years. She stood up and waved her arms in the air. Emily, her husband Joe with Frost, and Aiyanna came to join them.

"I thought you had to work," said Timber, hugging her cousin tightly.

"She called off the wedding at the last minute," Emily said as she took a seat in front of Timber. "Her Maid of Honor was caught in the broom closet with the groom by her mother. That was a little frightening to watch."

"Poor girl," said Gina.

"Scum of the earth, that man," said Dresden.

"I'm glad she found out before the wedding rather than after!" said Ashley.

"What is she going to do?" asked Kendra.

"Skip the ceremony and go straight to the reception with her friends and family to celebrate avoiding a divorce," said Emily. "She and her best friend are going on the honeymoon."

"Who was the maid of honor?" asked Timber.

"Her sister," said Emily, and the group gasped and cried out in shock and disgust.

"Humans never fail to shock me in both good and bad ways," said Aiyanna.

"We are a rather shocking species," said Gina.

Just then, the marching band and the color guard stepped onto the field. The crowd around them applauded loudly. They formed tight rows in their stand and held their position. Then the cheerleaders filed out, waving their silver pom-poms, shouting, and amping up the crowd. When they were clear, the football team came running out in their purple and grey uniforms with Colton in the front. Timber looked for number 88 and found Renegade in the middle of the team. They ran out into the field to a growing, shouting crowd. It was nearly game time but not quite. The team warmed up for a few minutes while the stands filled up with the last few people. Right on time, from the announcer's box, a voice rang out through the stadium speakers. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, please stand, remove your caps, and face the flag to your right for the playing of our National Anthem."

Timber rose to her feet and faced the flag she and the others around her fought for, and placed her right hand over her heart. The band played the Star Spangled Banner and when they were finished, the stadium filled with applause, and the team put their helmets on. Timber looked across the field to the opposing team in red and white. The teams moved to the center of the field around the referees for the coin toss and the speakers filled with a wolf howl, followed by an intimidating growl. Timber's pack cheered louder than anyone else because they knew the sound effects that were being used were not artificial. They were real recordings of Timber's wolf voice and only the group knew.