Stay(8)

The city lay awash in silver moonlight that set morning glares on the windows and gave the snow a fluorescent glow, diminishing the street lamps' light. Paili gazed out the window. The town looked like one of Kain's pictures: perfectly coated and shaded. A quiet moment caught in time.

The fire was out, just as Kain promised. Moonlight was the only source of light in the room. Fire scared her. She would remember the forest being swallowed in bright orange and black.

Fire had taken everything she knew. Paili couldn't imagine how the animals who lost homes in the fire were fairing now. Worst of all she couldn't remember what had started it. Only thoughts of the animals running for their lives and the last words Tau said to her remained.

She wiped her eyes and tried to focus on the peaceful scene outside once again. Even in her human form her eyes were sharp. Paili caught sight of something moving through the snow too fast to be a human.

She opened the door and peered out into the white landscape. It popped up and disappeared back into the snow. A rabbit? Her curiosity got the better of her and she ventured out into the cold.

Her blanket wrapped tightly around her she followed The mysterious creature into the sleeping city streets. It left a trail of odd shaped holes in the snow that she followed up to the door of the tavern. It was still as bright and lively as in the daytime. The tracks stopped there and she didn't see it pop up again. The wind started to pick up.

Paili pulled her blanket tighter against her small body to fend off the wind chill. Her frail human body was not built for the freezing temperatures. She turned around to look for the path back to Kain's house.

_________________________________________

Kain woke shivering. He looked to his window to make sure it wasn't open. "Of course not," he mumbled as he got out of bed. He went to the front to check on Paili. Instead of the small girl he left on the sofa he saw snow piled in the open door and an absence of said girl.

Kain calmed himself and went to search the house. The door was open, meaning she had to have gone out but perhaps he was stalling from having to go out into the freezing cold. Yali was going to kill him if anything happened to the girl. On the other hand he had the house to himself again.

He closed the door and signed heavily. First he started a fire. Then he sat and stared thoughtfully into the flames for several minutes, thinking about what he ought to do. The girl was ready to go running off the other night so surely she could take care of herself despite being so small.

How old was she? She couldn't be more than five with her stature. Do we have to? The only words he'd heard her speak the past two days of knowing her haunted him. Her voice was so small.

Can't you tell she hasn't had a decent meal in days?!

"Damn it all!" Kain jumped up and snatched his coat from the closet. "These women'll be the death of me."

The wind had increased and snow was falling all around. Kain ran as fast as he could with decreasing vision. A storm's coming! I hope she isn't really out here in this. He ran by the tavern, practically falling over as he tried to stop, and ran  inside.

The atmosphere was as cheerful as always; music floated through the air, laughter rose from all directions in the room and there wasn't a face void of a smile. Kain caught wind of a loud, hearty laugh among the sounds of joy that filled the room.

"Quinn! Quinn over here!" He jumped and waved his arms in the air.

Quinn broke away from the group he was with. He folded his muscular arms and looked down at his friend expectantly.

"I need your help," Kain said. "The girl...She left during the night. I can't find her."

Quinn looked to a window where a wild display of the outside conditions danced. "She's out in this storm? What did you do?"

Kain glared back at him. "Nothing! Now, are you going to help me or not?"

________________________________

Paili took shelter behind a set of empty barrels outside a bakery. They took the brunt of the wind's force but she wasn't unscathed. Her hair blew over her arms, a false comfort. The wind mocked her want for warmth.

She had a few choice words for this weather but her teeth wouldn't stop chattering for her to say them. Luckily her ears weren't as effected so she heard the sounds of people approaching.

"Where have you looked?" Quinn asked.

"Only as far as from the taver to my house," he replied.

"Then let's split up and meet back there."

Kain nodded. He spotted the tracks in the snow. "What could be out here in this storm?"

"Animals are made to endure the harsh weather. Not little girls."

Paili recognized their voices and struggled to her burning feet. She was rushed by the icy wind and nearly fell over. She could see their backs. Her throat was dry but she raised her voice as much as she could to call out.

"Help me! Please! Help!"

They didn't seem to hear so she tried again. Her voice was carried away from their ears in the unforgiving winds. Cold tears ran down her cheeks as she struggled to get closer. Paili called out again.

Kain stopped walking. He turned in circles. He could hear her voice but it was faint.

"Help me!"

He retraced his steps, listening for the voice again. "I hear you! Keep shouting!"

Paili knew she couldn't keep yelling so she took off her blanket and let it wave in the wind, hoping it could draw the man to her. Kain strained his eyes trying to see through the snow. Something moving in the wind drew his attention. He ran towards it.

When he could see the red of her hair his heart dropped. As quickly as he could Kain wrapped her in the blanket and held her tightly against him as he hurried back to the tavern.