Bond(16)

There was a completely new aura surrounding Kain Ward's house since the incident. People walking by would stop and just stare. Could it be new paint? Did he get a new door? Is it the roof, maybe?

No one could figure out what it was that made the bachelor's house so approachable. When Paili came running out of the house they would turn their heads in shame. "He finally did it," the older women whispered amonst themselves. "He got some poor girl pregnant."

"At least he's got enough sense to dress the poor girl properly," one whispered when Paili ran by. "I can't imagine how he treats her."

"I think I'm doing just fine all things considered," Kain replied from a nearby bench. He put on his most charming smile for their glaring eyes. "Have a nice day," he called as they all shuffled away, leaving trails in the snow.

"And that is how you handle the ugliest of people," he said as he took a bite of frozen cream. "One comment and a smile. It's even better when you act like you're talking to someone else." He took another bite and squeezed his eyes shut against the cold.

Paili licked at her little bowl of cream furiously. Kain tapped the edge of her bowl to make her stop. He put his spoon in then went to get another. Paili pouted at the tool.

It would still take a while for her to get used to all of the tools they had for eating. Couldn't they just pick it up and eat? She took a reluctant spoon full into her mouth. She had a tongue, why couldn't she use it?

"So what do you want to do today?" Kain asked as he took his seat next to her. "Do you want to go to the market?"

"I want to go see Cylus," Paili replied over her spoon. "He's not out today."

"You're worried about him, huh? We can go see him after we finish eating."

Paili scooped the corners of her bowl clean. She quickly threw it away then waited for Kain to finish with her arms folded impatiently. As soon as he was finished she threw away his cup and pulled him up from the bench. Paili ran all the way there with Kain on her heels until she came to a stop under the dented sign. She pushed the door open and Kain followed her inside breathing heavily.

"Hello, and welcome- Paili! Hello there dear! How are you today?" She smiled warmly until her eyes beheld the man standing next to her. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm with her," he answered, ignoring the familiar tone in her voice. "I'm her guardian."

A look of horror came over Jae's face and looked back at Paili. "I'm sorry dear. I'll go tell Cylus you're here." She disappeared behind the door.

"What a nice old woman," Kain muttered. He leaned back on his elbows against the counter. "Don't tell me that's the poor kid's mother." Paili nodded. "Great..."

Kain stared into the glass display case just as Kaila appeared from behind the door and her eyes went straight to him. "So she was telling the truth," she stated bluntly. "Are you really her guardian or are you just playing the part to steal some poor woman's heart?"

"Excuse me?" Kain looked up at her, admittedly taken aback by her youthful face. He caught himself slipping into a smile and turned it to a frown. "Who are you? What's with the women in here?"

"We know a useless man when we see one," Kaila retorted.

"My dad's not a useless man!" Paili interrupted heatedly. "He bought me all kinds of stuff and makes dinner every night."

Kain looked down at the small girl with blatant surprise filling the color in his cheeks. Kaila only nodded then opened a short side door that allowed them behind the counter. "Cylus doesn't feel well enough to get out of bed, but he wants to see you," she said, sounding almost annoyed. Kain followed Paili through the door then Kaila led them through the door upstairs to Cylus' room.