16. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗯𝗼𝗿

𝕿he sun beamed far in the horizon, emitting a dreamy canvas across the sky, with occasional puffy clouds covering the afternoon sky. A light breeze brushes through the trees and plants, and the waves of Belle's Harbor crash against the shore, sending small waves into the heated sand.

Belle's Harbor wasn't overly crowded; a few students from Auradon Prep and some families were there. It was later in the day, and neither Jay nor Rilynn expected the Harbor to be as busy.

Rilynn and Jay spent most of the day on the beach. They walked up and down the shore mindlessly with their shoes in their hands. Rilynn has been hanging out with Jay a lot more, mainly the two. Since their date the night of the coronation, Jay's been inviting Rilynn on more dates. Now that they've been hanging out more often, it feels almost natural to spot the two together.

However, Rilynn was hoping for a little more.

"Have you thought about what you wanted to do after school?"

"I'm not sure yet," Jay frowned. "I've never really had to think about it until now." His shoulder bumps against Rilynn's softly. "It's different on the Isle. They never really asked us this. What about you?"

Rilynn shrugged, but her lips pulled slightly. "I think I wanna be a baker," she smiled instantly when the image came to mind. Rilynn could see it happening. "I wanna make it an actual thing, but . . . I'm not sure where to start."

"You should ask Evie for advice," Jay suggested. "She's got Evie Four Hearts. I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving you some pointers. You've already got the baking down, and it's just a matter of how to create a business around it. Getting clients, building a name for yourself, and promoting your products."

Is it strange that Rilynn found this attractive?

"Yeah, I know. That's why I'm helping Evie with her fashion line. I figured if I started there, it would help me when I start my bakery," Rilynn turned around, walking backward to flash Jay a sparkling smile. "Besides, she pays well."

"You should be focusing on your business, Goldie," Jay rolls his eyes fondly, softly shaking his head.

"I am!" Rilynn reassured. She turns around, smiling to herself. "I swear, I am. I'm just lifting it from the ground. I figured I'd get a part-time job. I'm not sure how much business I'd make. Have you seen Evie's waiting list? It's already fifteen pages long! I've had so many people bombard me to set them up an appointment."

"How do you know your business wouldn't boom like Evie's? I've tasted your red velvet cookies, and they're insane," Jay touches Rilynn's elbow, stopping them. "You're being too hard on yourself, Goldie. You're an amazing baker, and your food is the best thing I've ever had."

Rilynn wished she could blame the sun for her face growing warm, but she'd be lying. "I--thank you. Would you want to help me? Promote the business?" Rilynn asked awkwardly, but once the words spewed out, the princess wished she could've taken it back. "Not that you have to or anything. I just think . . . I'm actually not sure what I think."

"I'm all in. Tell me what you need, and I'm there," Jay promised.

Helping out Rilynn means getting to spend more time with her. It'll give Jay the boost to ask her out, finally.

Rilynn could already imagine creating her baking business with Jay working alongside her, putting out a good word. It sounds like a lot of fun. Jay always asks Rilynn about her bakery, motivating her to start her business.

It started to sound better each time they discussed it, and Rilynn got excited by the idea. But every time Rilynn tries to make it official, she always backs out at the last minute.