Artemis

Solar looked up at her, shock registering on her face for a split second. Then she laughed, lifting into the air herself, mockingly bowing outwards.

"Shapeshifter. You dare?" Solar snarled, clenching her talons. "Don't you know what I've done to the dragons who threaten my throne? What makes you think you are even worthy to utter those words?"

"Says the one who murdered all who stood in your way." Artemis said. "Solar, you've been through so much heartbreak- and I am sorry. But that doesn't excuse what you've done." She raised her head and hissed. "It's time to end the cycle. I'll find a better queen for the Daywings- you don't deserve them."

"You aren't even of my tribe." Solar prompted. "It's just trickery!"

Artemis shook her wings, just slightly, but they already glowed with a hot, silvery light. Her eyes were bright and at that moment she felt strong.

"Then it should be no problem to fight me. I believe you were just discussing what you did to those who threatened your throne."

"Enough of this!" Solar roared, and a stream of fire flew at Artemis faster than she could dodge.

Her scales crackled and singed at the ends as she jerked away, but they cooled and settled as she winged back around. Fire wouldn't be her best option to face Solar- she had to be smarter than that.

Artemis lunged, her hind talons connecting with Solar's chest plate, sending her and the queen crashing to the ground. Her scales were slick with blood, and the sky washed them both in red. Her teeth closed around the metal and she pulled as hard as she could, fracturing the metal and causing Solar to scream in fury.

Solar shoved her with her wings, her tail coming around and slicing her in the forearm as she got back up. The Nightwing danced away, but not unscathed. Artemis cried out and stumbled, losing her balance as the wound began to sizzle with green fluid.

Come on, Artemis. She thought, forcing herself back up, ignoring the stinging pain. Artemis blocked it out just like the bite that once ailed her. Part of her knew she could survive it just fine, thanks to her blood, and it was thrilling.

She launched herself back at the queen, bringing her own tail around at Solar and digging her talons into her neck. She grit her teeth and swung hard, her bladed tail digging into the queen's chest.

Solar gasped, her talons clutching at the wound, her eyes turning into wide silver disks. She seemed surprised Artemis had gotten her.

Artemis dropped back to the ground with a hiss, and Solar lurched forward, blood dripping in a torrent to the earth in a mess of green and red. There was a sickly grey color that began to leech from her scales, eating up the vibrancy of the gold.

The Nightwing took a step back in shock- her chest heaving. Had she- had she done it?

"Artemis!" A voice called, and suddenly Archangel was there. He dropped to the ground, wincing at a very harsh looking cut into his side.

"Archangel- what-"

As fast as a viper, the Daywing lunged and dragged Artemis to the ground, just as a bolt of white-hot fire seared over their heads.

Solar wasn't done yet. And by the look of it, she had just gotten started. The queen's scales took on a sickly grey-green tinge- the gold was gone, she now radiated with venom, the white and silver of her eyes having been eaten away by the wicked color. Artemis didn't get it- that was a stab right to her heart. She shouldn't be alive.

"She's a royal friend of the Magicwings, Artemis." Archangel said through a gasp as she helped him back up. "At their worst... they can... change themselves..."