Chapter 8

Kent Estate

William felt extremely nervous as he continued to watch everyone dancing to the rhythmic music with their costumes and masks. He still couldn't believe he was doing this. Elijah was going to need to do something to repay him. He hasn't seen Lady Elizabeth yet, and the longer that was put off, the better.

He was so worried about saying the wrong thing or doing the wrong thing and blowing his cover. He just hoped this night went by quick and smooth so tomorrow he can go find his best friend who put him in this mess. He couldn't be too mad at Elijah though. Especially reading those letters.

"Your Grace, it's nice to see you." A feminine voice said.

William kept his eyes straight as the title did not register in his mind.

"Your Grace?"

Oh, right! William's heartbeat went into overdrive as he turned to see who was acknowledging him. He paused when he saw the woman in front of him. She had long blond hair and chocolate brown eyes. She was wearing a light blue evening gown with a matching mask surrounding her eyes. Even with that costume on, she was breathtaking.

William cleared his throat before he attempted to speak. "Good evening..." Christ, I have no idea who this is! By the expression on her face, he should know who she is.

"Lady Elizabeth, Your Grace."

I'm going to ruin this... William bowed his head slightly. "Forgive me, Lady Elizabeth. Unfortunately, I've been under the weather as of late." William took her hand and placed a kiss there.

William should probably ask her to dance, but he was not too familiar with this style of dancing. Deciding to play it safe, he asked, "Would you like to join me for a walk?"

She seemed extremely put off by his request. Like Elijah would never ask that of her. "Look," William said, "I would like some fresh air and a little time away from all these people. Seems like us getting to know each other is a grand idea. Wouldn't you say?"

Her shock turned into a warm smile. "I would love to."

Katherine's eyes shot open when Elijah pressed his lips against hers

Katherine's eyes shot open when Elijah pressed his lips against hers. She had not been expecting that in the least. When he pulled away from her, he looked into her eyes with hunger when he said, "Thank you."

Thank you? She had no idea what he was thanking her for. "For- For what?"

"For tending to my wound," he said with a smile.

Such a nice smile, she thought. She couldn't keep her eyes from staring at his lips. And he appeared to notice.

"Was that your first kiss, Kitten?"

Did he call her Kitten again? Did his voice get lower? Am I dreaming? She couldn't seem to form words and just nodded.

His eyes got darker as he reached out and cupped the side of her face, brushing his thumb over her lip. "Well, we should do it right then."