Chapter 13

Elijah didn't know what to say when he saw Katherine at dinner. Of all the places she could be, she ended up being here, in his house the whole time. He could tell she was just as surprised to see him as he was to see her.

Thankfully, William passed on the note to her to meet Elijah in his chambers. The Duchess tended to prolong these kinds of dinners and Elijah stayed for as long as he could. He excused himself before quickly heading toward his chambers.

When he finally got to his door, he hesitated before slipping inside. "Katherine?" He called.

"Over here," she answered. She was standing by his desk where he kept his books. She still had on her maid's outfit and her bonnet. No matter what she wore, she was always stunning to him.

"I can't believe you are here," he breathed as he started walking towards her. She held up a hand in front of her, signaling for him to stop.

"What's wrong?" He asked. Was she not happy to see him? He was ecstatic to see her.

She let out a long breath and dropped her hand to her side. "What's wrong? Elijah, you are the Duke of Kent. How could you not tell me that?"

How did he explain this to her? "Katherine, I fled my home in a panic. Everything I told you was true." He ran his hands through his hair. "I didn't want to be the duke anymore. I just wanted to be me." He met her eyes as he walked a little closer towards her. "Those few days with you were the best of my life."

Even though she was clearly upset with him, he noticed the corners of her mouth lift slightly.

"Even getting stabbed?" She asked in a lighter tone.

Elijah smiled at her as he closed the distance between them. "Kitten, I would gladly walk into that highwayman's knife if I knew I would have had those few days with you."

She held his stare as he reached out and took off her bonnet. Her fire red curls fell past her shoulders and he reached out to cup her face.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" He asked.

"Elijah, you are a Duke. I am a maid." She placed her hand over his and kissed the inside of his palm. "I'm sorry, Elijah. I have to go."

Elijah didn't move as she left his chambers. His heart ached as he tried to process what just happened. He spent all day trying to find her... and when he finally did, he still couldn't have her.

"Are you sure we haven't met before?" Lady Elizabeth asked William

There was something about him that she couldn't place. It was his eyes. She has seen those eyes before. She had her suspicions, and she wanted to find out the truth.

The rest of the estate was quiet as they sat in the drawing room. Lady Elizabeth asked him to have a little chat with her. He was reluctant at first, but she was able to persuade him.