Chapter 18

"Elijah, what are you talking about?"

Katherine didn't know what to say to Elijah's question. Run away with him? He made it sound so simple.

"If we can't get married, will you leave with me?" He asked again.

Katherine's head was spinning. "Elijah, where would we go? What would we do? What about our families?"

"We would go anywhere. Anywhere you wanted." There was desperation in his tone, as if he feared losing her.

Katherine's heart was aching in her chest. She loved him as much as he loved her, but running away... Just didn't feel right. They would be leaving everything and everyone behind.

Katherine walked over to stand in front of him. With a quiet voice she asked, "Have you thought this through? Are you sure its what you want?"

His stare didn't waver as he reached out and cupped her face with both hands. "I've never been more certain of anything in my life, Kitten. You...were made for me. And I will do whatever is necessary to keep you."

In the next instant, Elijah's mouth was on hers. Her body responded to his instantly and there was nothing she could do about it. Not that she wanted to. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he deepened the kiss. His words were going through her mind as she started tugging at his shirt, silently begging for him to get it off. She wanted to feel him. No, she needed to feel him.

Elijah didn't know what came over him. He had a feeling that his days with her were numbered. The thought of sharing his bed, his life was someone else, was unacceptable to him. He didn't know how he was going to do it, but one way or another, come Christmas day, he was marrying Katherine.

But he would worry about that tomorrow. Right now, he needed her. When she started tugging at his shirt, clearly wanting it off, he groaned into her mouth. He pulled away long enough to remove it and throw it to the floor.

In less than two minutes, he had her out of her maid's uniform and naked in his bed. He positioned himself between her body and she wrapped her legs around his waist. He was dying to taste her, but he told himself there would be time for that later. He deepened their kiss as he slid himself inside her. Now was not the time for slow and gentle.

"Elijah..." She moaned as he made love to her.

He stopped kissing her neck to look into her eyes when he said, "Tell me you love me." He didn't know why he needed to hear it right now, but he did.

"I love you, Elijah."

Against her lips he breathed, "Forever?"

"Forever," she vowed.

December 23d

Elijah paced back and forth in his mother's quarters

Elijah paced back and forth in his mother's quarters. He needed to find a way to marry Katherine. When he was with her last night, it was...different. It was as if she were saying goodbye to him.