17 | I Love You

Kyle and Chaska didn't leave the living room until the early hours of the morning

     Kyle and Chaska didn't leave the living room until the early hours of the morning. They cleaned up after themselves and joined Otis in bed before the toddler could wake up.

     The next day had an atmosphere about it—almost suffocating with tension. Chaska made breakfast while Kyle gave his toddler a shower. The two adults listened to the boy babble as Chaska fed him pancakes from his plate. Everything was the same, but something had also changed. The emotional evening between the two men lingered, and Kyle felt his face grow warm anytime he made eye contact with Chaska.

     They had opened up to each other so much and navigating and shifting their dynamics with all the new information they had on each other was going to take time.

     They cleaned up after themselves after breakfast, and they left Chaska's apartment to start their day.

     The day went by with no trouble, and so did the next, and the day after that. Two weeks passed with the two adults coming to terms with each other, and a few things changed.

     Kyle was enjoying the changes. For one thing, Chaska held his hand in public now. It had really hurt him when he realized it wasn't something a Chaska was willing to do in public before, but now, going shopping together and having the taller man casually reach out for his hand or squeeze his shoulders in affection made his heart race and his face feel warm.

     It was also nice picking up both Otis and Chaska from the daycare. Somewhere along the line, it had become their routine. Kyle would come in a bit later when all the other kids were gone, and he would then help Chaska close for the day before the trio left for either Chaska's apartment or the older man's mother's place.

     Today was one of those school days, only that Kyle and Chaska had planned to spend some time together, so they dropped Otis off before heading out by themselves.

     The car ride was silent for the most part. Kyle tried to end the awkward silence by turning on the stereo. A song from a C.D. Chaska has put in the other day rang through. The drag queen's voice was deep, but they sang in a feminine coded way that was intrigued, Kyle.

     "You asked me if I wanted to go and see a drag show with you," Kyle said, remembering Chaska's proposal from all those weeks ago. "What happened? You never followed up on that," he added when Chaska said nothing in response. Kyle watched the tan-skinned man shrug from the side of his eyes.

     "I guess I just forgot," Chaska muttered, looking away from the window to stare at Kyle. The blond man's hands tightened on the steering wheel when his eyes caught Chaska's.

     "Do you still want to go sometime?" Chaska asked.

     Kyle nodded. "Yes. I would like to."

     "Alright," Chaska said with a smile that Kyle mirrored.

     The glasses of the car's windows were rolled down due to the heat. Summer had come in at full swing, but although schools were out of session, and more teens and elementary school kids were out and about, the daycare was still up and running. In fact, Chaska had more work on his hands now since his colleague had started taking in kindergarten kids for summer school.