Emotional Support Human

Rosemary wasn't trainable. They tried and tried, but she stubbornly refused to become some giant's emotional support human. She wasn't going to serve those dickheads. She especially wasn't going to take care of one. They didn't really know what to do with the untrainable woman, so they just sold her off anyway at a discounted price. 

         Rufus had insufferable anxiety, yet he lived alone. Often times he had trouble eating, drinking, and sleeping. He didn't want someone to look after him, but both his doctor and therapist were persistent on the matter. He reluctantly got an emotional support human at the cheapest price he could find. 

         "Hey furball! Have you had breakfast?" Rosemary called down the hallway. 

         "I'm na' hungry," Rufus protested. 

         A very angry, four inch tall woman waddled into the room. "I didn't ask if you were hungry. I asked if you had eaten. You didn't eat much last night, so I know you're hungry. Plus I'm hungry, so you need to make food." she huffed. 

         "I should eat ye and solve both o' our problems," he grumbled. 

         "Yeah, yeah. Get up and make me breakfast." she snapped. 

         "Ye're needy," he grumbled, hopping off the couch. He scooped her up into his hands and made his way to the kitchen.

         "Did you have any nightmares last night?" she questioned. 

         "Nope. I didn't dream at all." He grabbed an egg and a piece of bread. He popped the bread into the toaster, and cracked the egg into a pan. 

         "So did you get a good night sleep overall?" she asked. 

         "Yeppers." He smiled. "Thanks, Rosie."

         "Yeah whatever. Hurry up. I'm hungry." she whined. 

         He sat her down on the counter and got to flipping the egg as it sizzled. When the toast popped up, he retrieved it. And when the egg was done to satisfaction, he plated them both. He grabbed a fork to cut, and a little homemade fork crafted from tin foil for Rosemary.

         Rosemary was already busy tearing a piece of toast off for herself. Rufus took the liberty of cutting her off a piece of egg. She popped the egg's yolk with her fork and drizzled it over her piece of egg white. She scooped the egg onto her toast and munched away. 

         "Aren't you going to eat?" Rosemary pressed, pointing to the plate of food. 

         "I'm na' hungry."

         She rolled her eyes. "So you're just going to lie and waste all this food even though you're obviously hungry?"

         He looked to his fidgeting hands. 

         "As long as you take small bites and chew, I promise you won't choke. At this point, you're more likely to die of starvation than you will of choking." she reassured him, "But if you give me your cell phone, I can call for help if you somehow do choke."

         Rufus nodded, scurrying away to grab his phone and back to give it to her. He opened it up to the dial and typed in his neighbor's number. 

         "I'll tap m'nose if I can't breathe. Just hit the call button. I already put m'n-"

         "That's your neighbor Trenton's number. I also memorized all emergency service lines, including the one for emergency medical services. I will call them as soon as I get off the phone with Trenton." Rosemary assured him, "Rufus, I promise I'll never let anything happen to you."

         He smiled wryly before cutting a small piece off of his egg. It was smaller than the piece he gave Rosemary. He nibbled pieces off, chewed thoroughly, and then finally swallowed. The bite seemed to give him more courage. He progressively started taking bigger bites and chewing faster. The food was gone before either of them knew it. 

         "Look at you, furball." She grinned. "I'm proud." 

         He scratched the back of his head. "Thanks, Rosie, but it's na' that big of a deal." He gathered up the dishes and washed them. 

         "Well, it's big to me. I'm very proud of you. I know this is a lot for you, but here you are overcoming it."

         "I couldn't do it without ye, Rosie," he said, scooping her back up, "Ye're m'emotional support human." 

         "Look dickface, I'm not an emotional support human." she huffed. 

         "Right. Ye just so happen t'be a human that emotionally supports me."