9

Dana, Tessa, and I sat on the benches outside of the school waiting for football practice to be over. Some kid hit mom's car the other day so she's been driving mine while hers gets repaired. The boy's practice goes on for an hour longer than ours so we had to wait for them. Tessa was doing homework while Dana was asleep on her backpack. I scrolled through Instagram and Tik Tok.

Nick and Luke walked over to us. Nick had his shirt hung over his shoulder showing off his muscular body. My eyes were drawn to him. He smirked winking at me. I grabbed my bag and stood up. "It's about time," I said.

"Hey we don't decide practice times," Luke said. he shifted his bag and squatted next to Dana. he put his arms under her back and legs. "Come on dana bear," he said lifting her up. We walked over to the car. Luke set Dana into the back. She took up the left and middle seat.

Tessa sat down beside her head. Nick wrapped one of his arms around my waist pulling me to his body. He leaned next to my ear. "I saw you checking me out Corazón."

"I was not I- I was just wondering why you weren't wearing a shirt."

He chuckled. He reached his hand up placing it over my heart. "And I'm sure your fast-beating heart is due to something else then?" I pushed his hand away and stepped out of his arms. He shrugged his shirt back on. He sat in the passenger seat and I sat down on his lap. Luke drove off towards Tessa's house. "Your heart is still beating fast."

I rolled my eyes. The car ride was silent except for Luke's loud music. We pulled up to Tessa's house. I turned to look at her. "I'll see you tomorrow," I said.

"Bye guys," she said getting out. We waited until she was inside before driving away.

I could've moved to the back of the car but I did like being so close to Nick. Of course, I'd never tell Nick any of this. We drove off to Dana's house. Luke parked in her driveway. "I'll be right back, I'm gonna bring her inside." he got out of the car and opened the door. He lifted Dana off the seat and into his arms. He walked to her front door knocking on it. Dana's mom answered letting Luke inside.

"Corazón?"

"Hmm?"

"I have something to ask you." I turned my body sideways so I could face him. He smiled at me. I couldn't help but smile back. He ran his finger down my arm softly. "So you know it's the homecoming game tomorrow and I was just wondering if you would wear my jersey?"

I smiled widely. "Nicky, I'd love to." I leaned forward kissing his cheek. "Thank you, I had honestly forgotten about the jerseys, I was supposed to wear Ty's."

"I'll tell your coach to give it to you tomorrow." Luke got back into the car. We drove to the house. Outside of Nick's house were police cars, an ambulance, and a morgue van. Luke parked in the driveway. Nick got us both out of the car, set me on the ground, and ran to his house. The police stopped him at the tape. "What's going on?" he shouted.

Luke and I ran up to him. "Nicholas," Abuela said walked over to us. She had Elena on her hip.

"Abuela what's going on? Where's dad and Lindsay?" he asked. Abuela shook her head, her eyes welling up with tears. I gasped putting my hands over my mouth. Nick followed my eyes. Lindsay was on a gurney being zipped up into a black bag. "No!"

Two officers walked out of the house with Nick's dad, Enrique. Nick and him look similar to each other except Nick had more of his mother's features including her blue eyes. Enrique was shorter and not as fit as Nick. he struggled against the officers. His eyes found us. "Nick!" he got out of their grip and ran towards us. He grabbed Nick's forearm. "Don't believe a word they tell you, boy."