Part 14

The next morning, I was ready by 11am. I wasn't hungry, but ate half of a large muffin, washing it down with water. I was wearing an old short-sleeved plain white T-shirt that stuck slightly to my skin, one of Adele's grey sweatpants that kinda fit me, and my black Adidas sneakers. My short hair was pulled back in a braid. Mom and Dad were up. Adele, who had returned home late the previous night, was sleeping.

A short while later, a honk sounded outside. I grabbed my mini backpack, which carried my wallet, phone, and a couple of important documents in case we were questioned at the prison. I said bye to Mom and Dad. They stood at the front door entrance as I sped-walked to Jackson's brother's car – an old grey Honda. I climbed into the messy backseat, greeting them. Jackson introduced me to his brother, Harvey, who looked like an older version of him. They both had the same innocent brown eyes, straight nose, even brown complexion, mini fro and clean cut edges. In other words, very alike and almost barely distinguishable together.

I waved to Mom and Dad as we drove away. We got to the prison at 11:55. As we parked, we noticed someone getting out of a Toyota and coming our way. "Oh, there's Zavier," Jackson said. We got out of the car and greeted him, before entering the building. After going through a checking and registering process, we finally got to speak to Kenny – one by one. I was too nervous and let Jackson go in the visiting room first so he could at least lighten the mood. I didn't know what I was going to say in there.

After ten minutes, the guard watching us asked who was next. I looked at Zavier. "You go next."

He shook his head. "Nah. You go. I got some important shit to tell him after."

I didn't wanna go next, but with how impatient the guard looked, I knew I had no choice. I slowly followed him. I was taken into a room that had a glass separating the side I was on from the inmate's side. Inmate - not what I wanted Kenny to be known as. There were a couple of people seated, talking to someone on a little telephone. I was led to a seat. Kenny was behind the glass. "Ten minutes," the guard said, before going to stand by the entrance.

I stared at Kenny. He looked the same - which made sense considering it was only his third day in there. The only difference was that his eyes looked sad and his hair wasn't as well maintained as when he was obsessed and worried over his waves. I slowly picked up the little telephone. His was already to his ear. The first thing I heard was a relieved sigh, followed by, "Baby."

Already, tears stung the back of my eyes. I breathed in deeply. "Kenny," I whispered. I cleared my throat. "How are you holding up?" I felt like that was the only thing to say.

Kenny shrugged from the other side of the glass and glanced around. "Well," he sighed. "I can't say bad. I got no choice but to be okay."

"Screw that," I said right away. He looked at me. "How do you really feel?" My voice was sympathetic.

"Well, today, I feel fine. I'm glad I get to see my baby and my bros." He chuckled. "Jackson sure knew how to lighten the mood."

I knew he would. I wanted to smile too, but also wanted Kenny to know that I knew what he was doing. "Kenny," I said. It was just like him to avoid talking about his feelings. "I'm not talking about today. I mean the past few days and nights you spent in this place, with other..." I got stuck for a minute. "..people."

He looked me dead in the eyes. "Criminals. Is that what you wanted to say?"

I drew back, the word slapping me. That was why I hadn't used it. He didn't classify with these type of people. "But Kenny. You're not a criminal!"

He suddenly looked defeated. "Then what am I doin' here?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Kenny, are you serious?" He shrugged. I leaned forward. "Did you put that shoe in the car, hm?" I avoided using Bobby's name. "Are you the one who last saw him?" Kenny's next answer was the opposite of what I needed to prove my point, but enough to prove another.