Chapter 8

Please remember to comment or vote. (and to stay safe during this craziness)

-Chapter 8 -

King Edward

I look out the window across from my desk. Even in the darkness I can see three crows fly from the ground into the forest. I return to the boxes I am working on. I begin to read over the military dispatches. Out of the corner of my eye I see Alexandrina's letter sitting underneath a stack of letters Brodie brought in earlier. I move the boxes aside and grab her letter from underneath the stack of letters on top of it. I open the letter again noticing the worn creases from the times I have unfolded and refolded the paper. The words dance across the page until I reach the last paragraph.

Edward, I know you will be stubborn, I know you will try and keep respect for the dead alive. But please try to overcome your stubbornness. Please find another wife after my funeral. A second Queen. A phoenix rising from the ashes of my death. I have one request though, make sure you love her.

      All My Love,

               Alexandrina

As I begin to fold the letter I notice something under Alexandina's name. A tear stain. I look at the clock next on top of the mantle, nine o'clock. Opening the doors to my chambers, I look for a footman. I wait a few minutes before one begins to walk through the hall.

"Boy!"

He looks at me before coming toward me.

"Yes Your Majesty?"

"I need you to go find Elizabeth Archer, and inform her that the king needs to see her immediately."

"Yes sire."

He bows and runs down the hall. I close my door, walk through my receiving chamber, into my bedchamber and fall backwards onto my bed, waiting for Elizabeth. I look up at the night sky that is embroidered on the canopy. Then, I close my eyes for a moment. A few minutes later a knock sounds at the door. I get off of my bed and walk through my chamber to the door. I look through the small brass peephole. Elizabeth Archer stands outside my door, her medical bag gripped in her hand. I open the door. "Thank you for coming, Archer."

"How can I help you, Your Majesty."

"Sire is fine. I wanted to talk to you about Alexandrina."

"Of course. May I?"

"Oh-Yes."

I step aside, allowing her into the room. She walks to the left side of the receiving chamber where the couches and chairs form a circle with a table in the middle. I sit on one of the chairs, and she takes a seat across from me. "What would you like to know, Sire?"

"How long?"

"Fourteen months. She was ill before you got married. She wrote the letter I gave you three and a half months ago. It was when we pronounced her near death."

"Why did she not tell me?"

"She couldn't Sire. She knew you would try to help, and she didn't want that. She was dying."

I close my eyes for a moment, running my hand through my hair.

"Did she suffer much?"

"Not as much as she could have, Sire."

"Thank you. That is all for now."

"Of course Your Majesty. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with."

She gives a short curtsy and leaves. I walk back to my desk and pick up Alexandrina's letter again.

A knock sounds at the door. I refold the letter, set it in a desk drawer, and walk through my chamber to the door. I look through the peephole and see Henry Lawson. I sigh and open the door.

"What do you want Lawson? It's nearly eleven o'clock."

"Your Majesty, Thomas Alby has been killed. His body was found under the portrait of Prince Consort Alexander VII. A leather garrote around his neck. The window down the hall across from the portrait of your father was open."

I sigh and run my hand through my hair.

"Who found the body?"

"Lady Agawa Korati's maid, Houjou Mei."

"Where is she now?"

"In the hall where Alby was found. I have sent guards to the hall to scan for clues and to keep everyone else out."

"How did you learn he had been killed?"

"Houjou Mei found me while I was returning to my chambers."

"What were you doing outside of your chambers?"

"Looking for my handkerchief."

"Ah. I see. Who do you believe killed Alby?"

"An Imonian assassin, the same as last time."

"Last time?"

"Your Majesty, is it a coincidence that Alby was killed underneath a painting of Alexander VII. The garrote was also made from Imonian leather. When Alexander was killed it was the Imoni."

"Alexander VII's death was during a war. We are not at war."

"But he was drunk when he died! And he was killed by a garrote!"

"The garrote used to kill Alexander was made of wire. Thomas was killed with leather."

"With all due respect Your Majesty, this is a threat from the Imonians!"

"Everyone uses Imoni leather. Including me."

"But..."

"Enough of this Lawson. Any assassin would know better then to fully replicate a great assassination during their history. The assassin is not from Imon."

"Which is exactly what they want you to think."

"We're going to the murder scene then."

I grab my jacket from the back of my chair and leave my chambers, following Henry Lawson through the halls.

A/N: Poor Drina. and mmm speculation about murders. DOUBLE UPDATE! These will probably be happening a lot as I will forget to update because I'm researching for the sequel or going absolutely crazy because editing sucks.

Also like completely random has anyone seen Sanditon? I fell in love with the show and no one knows if there's going to be a second season or not so I'm just dying inside while I wait.

And thank you to one of my friends for introducing me to Gilmore Girls. Like ugh I just love it so much. No spoilers if you've seen every single episode. I'm only on season 2.

Stay safe. -M

 -M