"Does pillow fighting count?"

"You're Mason's girl, right?"

I don't answer her question as she proceeds to approach me. She's wearing green shorts and a black nike sports bra with her medium brown hair in a ponytail. My eyes fall to her well toned arms and abs.

Is every girl Mason knows intimidating?

Well, he knows you, so...

I notice the frown on the girl's face and bring myself out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I am."

Her frown rotates into a smile and she lifts her leather gloved hand for a handshake.

"Tammy," her hand is firm, "and you?"

"Maya." I hope she can feel my fingers breaking.

"You've got such baby hands, Maya." She examines my hand and chuckles.

I snatch them away and look down.

"Have you ever done boxing, karate, any martial arts?"

I look up at her and shake my head.

"Does pillow fighting count?" I smile nervously at her.

She throws her head back and laughs.

"I like you, Maya. C'mon."

She ushers me towards the back of the room. I notice that the place is bigger than I assumed . There's another room, probably where Mason and Justin had disappeared to earlier on. Perhaps it's a locker room.

"Are you going to change or are you comfortable in that dress?" Tammy asks me with a grin.

I look down and shake my head. I didn't bring anything to change into and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing just the spandex shorts and bras everyone seems to be sporting.

"I'm...I'm comfortable."

She hands me a pair of gloves similar to hers and I put them over my hand. The leather material only covers half my fingers. They look like driving gloves. I don't understand why I have to wear them.

"I'm going to start with a verbal lesson and instructions. Is that fine by you?"

I sigh with relief and nod. Instructions and a lesson, that should make things easier.

***

Mason's POV

I dodge another punch from my opponent, this one aimed at my face.

Making sure to be quick on my feet, I move around him. He aims at my face again and I bring my arms up to shield it.

This time, I take an aim at him. He effortlessly dodges it, my retaliation having been predictable.

Think smart Mason, you've fought with him enough times.

He's been my sparring partner since I joined the gym. If there's anyone who knows my tactics, it's him.

"Don't make this easy for me, Mason." He mocks me, his voice thick with his accent.

I smirk and move around him, having no aim to make the first shot. He mirrors my actions, also showing no aim to take his shot.

In the corner of my eye, I notice two familiar faces. They immediately consume my attention and my eyes follow them as they move across the room.

Maya!

A wave of panic washes over me. In a split second, I take a blow to the face and the shock throws me off balance. I fall on the floor of the ring on my side.