Chapter 2

Heelshire Manor

The taxi stops.

I look around with my mouth wide open. The driver stops and opens the car door for me to get out. I notice him looking at what I'm wearing.

I force a smile and politely thanked the old pervert

I force a smile and politely thanked the old pervert. I open the boot of the car and pull out our suitcases.

The taxi driver knocks on the glass window trying to wake her up.
No response.
He knocks again, less polite.

I place the suitcase at the bottom of the steps. I laugh as he starts cursing underneath his breath.

He opens the door and gives Greta a harsh nudge. I stop laughing as Greta bolts up now fully awake.
She grabs his hand, about to defend herself.

'Greta!' I shout. Rushing to her, moving the old man's hand from her grasp. I quickly pull her into a hug, glaring at the driver.

'Calm down. We're here.' I whispered.

'I apologise Miss. I was only trying to wake you.'

I laugh as Greta starts looking around the property. She was still half asleep.

'Sorry, I was dreaming.' Greta apologies to the man.

The old man nods his head. 'Not at all Miss. Perfectly alright.'

I was listening to them talk, but I wasn't looking. My eyes were glued to the huge Manor.

An old two-story home, painted an off cream colour, with red tiles. All around the Manor was iron bars for a balcony going around the home.

The Manor had large barred windows that almost give the impression of lifeless eyes peering out from behind large, leafy trees.

I'd noticed the top part of the building, maybe the attic was covered in soot. Was there a fire? The large window was boarded up.

I shuddered. Maybe it was the cold.

'It's like something out of a book.' Greta says, as she stands next to me looking around the house.

I scoff. 'What book? This place looked haunted.' I shudder again.

Greta laugh. 'Relax. Okay.'

The taxi driver comes from the Manor. I didn't even notice he went inside. He looked slightly pale.

'Y-yes, it's very lovely. I've taken your things inside.'

He stands in front of Greta, and pulls a letter from his pocket and hands it to her.

'From the Heelshires. They've stepped out. They beg your pardon, Miss, and ask that you wait in the parlor.'