50- Turned into a nightmare

Xander's POV

Night falls over the castle as the ball is reaching its peak. People are dancing and laughing as Aurora and I mingle around the room. Even though the moon shines brightly the outside grows darker and darker while a bad feeling lingers in my stomach. 

Something bad is about to happen.

I shake my head as I turn my attention back to Aurora, Clairy and Ethan. Clairy sips from her drink as her gaze travels across the room, searching for her special girl. I know she's been trying to hide that she found her mate, knowing that right now is not a great time for it. I place a hand on her shoulder as I lean down slightly.

"Go look for her," I whisper with a small smile on my lips. Her whole face lights up before she runs off, skipping like a little girl. 

"Where's she heading?" Ethan asks as he gazes after her before I shrug my shoulders. "Oh well, it doesn't matter," he answers his own question, "I need to go anyway," he sighs before waving us goodbye and walking off. 

"I guess it's just you and I now," Aurora smiles up at me and I can't help but smile back. She places her hand in mine before twirling herself into my arms so that her back is against my chest and my arm is around her waist. She looks up at me with a toothy grin as a chuckle escapes my lips.

The lights above our heads flicker making Aurora's eyes glow whenever the room falls into darkness as my smile falls and she untangles herself from me. The room grows colder by the second as a growl erupts from the darkest corners. The guest starts screaming and running around in a panic, some stepping on my feet. Even with all the humans around me, I feel his dark presence in the shadows. The dark lord. He's here, threatening me and everyone that stands close to my heart. 

I see his red eyes glowing in the dark, people creating a border between us as they pass. Even in the dark, I can see him grinning widely as his figure comes closer. A growl escapes my throat as I push Aurora behind me, hiding her from the monster in front of me. 

"What's going on Xander?" she whispers so that only I can hear. I don't answer, I don't know how to. All she does is peer from behind me and immediately stiffens. 

"Hello there, Xander," he croaks a laugh, "I never received an invitation." 

"You're not allowed on this land!" I roar, trying to sound threatening but he simply laughs. 

"Oh, I'm not here for you, at least not this time," he grins before looking over my shoulder, "No, I'm here for her," he smiles. "You should be more careful where you keep your curtains undrawn."

"Over my dead body!" I roar as panic floods me. He knows that Aurora is valuable to me. 

I can feel Aurora whimpering behind me as I feel her shaking hand grabbing onto my shirt as if it could save her. 

"I can arrange that," he laughs as I feel my body fly across the room before hitting a wall, cracking it as small stone splinters fall onto me. 

A loud, bloodcurdling scream, echos between the four walls of the ballroom. I look up to find Aurora being dragged away with me on the floor unable to do anything but scream her name as tears flood my eyes. 

Just when I won her heart, I lost her. 

This war might have been a quiet and hidden fight between us but now, he'll wish for hell to take him back.