"As Far as You Know"

"I'm not a movie," Remi said, his eyes flashing. "This isn't a movie."

Charlie scowled. Was he seriously saying that to her? Her. "No shit, Remi. In case you forgot, I know what your blood feels like on my hands." Her throat seized up for a second, her fingers going slick with phantom blood. She latched onto her anger again. "I'm the very last person you need to tell that to."

For a long moment, he didn't say anything. She could practically see the thoughts fluttering behind his eyes, his expression blank. Just as she was about to snap something else, his face changed. He blinked, and she saw wonder mixed with fury. Surprise. For the first time she saw something...soft wasn't the right word, but she couldn't think of anything better. 

Eventually, she couldn't bear the weight of it anymore. "Why are you looking at me like that?" she whispered.

He blinked slowly, everything clearing away. "Like what?"

When she hesitated, trying to put words to what she'd seen, he leaned forward, an expression of intense concentration now on his face. But the more she thought about it, the more she realized she had no idea what she was going to say. What had she even seen? What had she wanted to see?

The whole day had been one strange moment after the next. He had caught her off guard so many times today she really didn't know what to say. She didn't know what was safe to say. She didn't know what was true.

The sound of the doorbell startled her so much she very nearly dropped her food. She swallowed hard against the sudden knot in her throat, rage at whoever was behind the door flaring as Remi slumped back into the couch cushions and began stabbing at his chicken. 

Another chime rang through the house, somehow more demanding this time. Her hands shook lightly as she set her food on the table and stood up. It took more self-restraint than she cared to admit not to look over her shoulder as Remi muted the TV. She let out a small sigh through her nose and opened the door.

A tall, slender woman stood on the other side. She looked like a model with high cheekbones and large eyes, her brown skin was flawless and her black hair fell in perfect glossy waves around her face. A man with salt-and-pepper hair and a neat beard stood a little behind her, his hands in the pockets of his trousers. He was turned slightly, staring at the street.

"Charlie?" the woman asked in a melodious voice that stirred a memory. "Charlie LaSalle?"

After another moment of staring, Charlie's mouth dropped open. "Tanya?"

"It's been a while. I wasn't sure you'd recognize me." Tanya smiled, though the expression was reserved. "Could we come in?" She gestured toward the man behind her, who nodded a greeting.

"I..." Charlie frowned, casting a half-glance at Remi to find him sitting still as a statue, his eyes glued on her. "Um... What are you..." She turned back to Tanya. "What are you doing here?"

As soon as she said it, she knew it had come out more rudely than she had intended. Then she decided it wasn't that rude, seeing as how she hadn't talked to Tanya for nearly five years. And who was the guy with her?

For some reason, Charlie got the feeling this wasn't about a feel-good reunion between long-lost friends.

That feeling intensified when Tanya bit at her lower lip, exchanging a glance with the man. "Would it be okay if we came in?" she asked again.

A chill spidered its way down Charlie's spine as she took a step back, opening the door wider. Tanya and the man came in, and Charlie shut the door behind them. Remi stood, his eyes meeting hers. She shook her head minutely, letting him know she had no idea what this was about.