treize

Treize - Thirteen

"Holy shit, man!" Jordan praised, doing one of those bro-hug things with a sweaty Rory. "You did great out there."

Rory beamed with pride, running a hand through his blonde hair. It was wet from the sweat, the adrenaline rush still very present. He was still dressed in all of his football gear, his uniform stained from the grass and dirt. "Thanks!"

"When you got tackled by all of those guys at once, I thought for sure you must have broke something." Jordan was rambling, leaving Rory mesmerized by him. Everything about Jordan was beautiful.

The curve of his upper lip into his Cupid's bow. The shine that he got in his brown eyes whenever he was captivated by something. Even the slight quirk that the left side of his lips had every time that he was amused. It was rarely ever a full smile. The quirk seemingly was his smile. Rory loved it.

"Then when you suddenly pushed them off of you and booked it over to the other side." Jordan continued, narrating the whole thing as though Rory hadn't been the one to experience it. His friend's enthusiasm left him breathless. "That was fucking awesome! How the hell did you do that? They were, like, triple your size."

Rory scratched the back of his neck thoughtfully. When he was little, his father had always been upset about Rory's lack of a growth spurt. It was the reason Rory learned that he had to work for the things he wanted if he wanted to accomplish them. After that, Rory made his whole life revolve around football. Now, he knew just about every trick in the book despite his size.

When opponents laid eyes upon him, they always rolled their eyes and taunted him. But when Rory was on the field, he was a whole other person. He was able to do everything that a big stocky person could, and then some.

"I've been practicing for as long as I can remember." Rory laughed, secretly reveling in Jordan's attention. "It's really not as hard as it looks when you've been-"

"Rory!" A booming voice called to him, causing for Rory to stop mid-sentence and turn around. A tall stocky man with a blonde buzzcut and brown stubble was making his way towards him.

"Shit. Got to go. Bye, Jordan." Rory quickly rushed out, not bothering to listen to Jordan's goodbye before taking off to meet the man half-way.

As soon as he was close enough to him, he greeted him with a polite, "Hey, Dad." Rory ran his hands through his hair a second time, trying to keep it from falling in front of his face again.

"Who were you talking to?" Mr. Shelton asked, looking at the boy that Rory had left behind. Jordan was now distracted, conversing with Mia. Rory was relieved to know that Jordan wasn't paying attention.

"Just someone who wanted to congratulate me." Rory shrugged. "What did you need?"

"Your mother wants to take a few pictures of you. She said that she got a few good ones while you were out on the field, but insisted that a few more of the aftermath wouldn't hurt." He told his son, clapping him on the back before they both walked towards where Mrs. Shelton was talking to some other people.

Eden had his hands dug deep into his sweatshirt pocket, fingers balled into a tight fist. The hunger pangs were stronger than usual, making it abnormally hard for him to focus on anything other than the incessant sick and empty feeling in the pit of his stomach. The only thing he could hear was the sound of his own stomach growling.

"Eden?" Mia's voice broke through the ringing in his ears, his nails digging into his palms. "Are you coming?"

He nodded, following his friends away from the bleachers. He hadn't been paying attention to most of the football game, trying to ignore the smell of the concession stand. All he knew was that they had won and that it was now over. Eden had never been that big on sports, but he didn't mind them either. It was just a lot harder to care when his body wouldn't let him.