dix-neuf

Dix-neuf - Nineteen

There was an incessant smile on Fay's face that he simply couldn't wipe away. The feeling of adrenaline, the feeling of truly being alive, was coursing through every vein in his body. This was what kept him breathing. This was what kept him smiling.

Though he wasn't playing a lead role like he usually did, he couldn't be more content. That time, he had tried out for Mercutio instead of Romeo, because he would rather act as a character that he was passionate about than one that he didn't really care for. And to him, he found Romeo to be quite annoying with his constant pity party and how quickly he changed his mind.

But Fay loved Mercutio, because of his bravery and honesty. He also brought a large chunk of the comedy to the performance with his constant sarcasm. Fay was good at playing that role, so that was the role he chose. He knew where his limits were and how to enjoy himself. There was simply no point in playing the lead role if he didn't enjoy doing it.

Wearing a slightly tacky looking medieval brown jacket with a white button up that was only partway buttoned beneath it, along with some baggy jeans, he was supposed to be passing as someone from the Middle Ages. However, Fay couldn't get over how awful it looked. Sure, it wasn't the worst possible low-budget costume for a high school performance, but that didn't make it anymore flattering.

Knowing that he didn't really have a choice in the matter, Fay kept from complaining too loudly or annoying anyone. What was far more important was that he knew all of his lines. Which he did, and he knew that he did, but he kept a copy of Romeo and Juliet tucked safely in his palm as he recited the Shakespearean boisterously, but quietly.

He needed to get into the mindset of a sarcastic and witty, questionably straight, man from roughly the 1590s. There wasn't any stage freight or doubting. Fay found that the only way to truly perform to the best of his ability was to ride on a high of self-confidence. Even if it was slightly artificial, it helped enough to get him into the mental state that he needed to be in.

Mercutio didn't make his first appearance on stage until scene four, so Fay had enough time to take a break from the book and peek out at the audience. Shockingly, there were enough people sat out there to fill the entirety of the school's auditorium. He had to do a quick sweep of the crowd to have his gaze land on his own family.

Maman and CeCe were whispering to each other instead of focusing on the opening scene. They both looked overly dressed up for watching a high school theatre performance. Maman had her long curly brown hair in a nice bun and wore a flattering black dress. CeCe's braids were also in a bun, but hers was towards the nape of her neck and a loose dress with sunflowers complimented her curves. Neither of them looked like they belonged there, but it was part of the embarrassment that Fay had to endure.

Vivienne was staring straight ahead beside them, already entranced by what was being said. Though she was a bit of a tomboy at times, she still loved to watch performances. Charlot already looked like he was going to fall alseep, leaning against his palm.

Fay searched the crowd a second time to find Eisley and Cal fighting over a small box of what Fay guessed to be Junior Mints, though he wasn't sure. Cal's entire family sat in the same row, the younger siblings already looking like they wanted to get the hell out of there, and the older ones keeping stoic expressions. Claudia had a large smile on her round face. However, Eisley's family wasn't there. Her parents were a bit different with the way they liked to spend their time, and Pip was probably at home playing video games.

Searching through everyone for a hint of one other person, Fay couldn't help but smile softly when his eyes landed on who he was looking for. Eden sat in one of the far rows, beanie pulled down to his eyebrows and head tilted down comfortably. Destiny was sat beside him, looking far more interested and awake. But Fay didn't really mind that Eden looked bored, he was just happy to see him devoting his time to something less... well, depressing.