Chapter 33 Mistakes in Judgements

Ten days after Nora and Robbie moved in, Daniel drove them into Glesga for their court date with Ian. The success of this venture meant everything to their future. He'd tried to be as supportive as possible, but there was no denying her fear. She'd smiled and chatted with Addie, but when quiet, the smile faded to a grim line. He hated the way her eyes darted every few seconds to the clock, as she mentally counted the seconds down until their departure. For the entire two-hour drive, she'd stared out the window barely answering Robbie's questions. Straight up at ten AM, he pulled the SUV into a spot in the court's car park and glanced sideways at her. She didn't move, but then he saw her shoulders rise and fall with a pained sigh. He reached across to her lap and lifted her hand to his lips for a soft kiss.

"Eww," Robbie proclaimed, breaking the tense moment.

"Right," Nora said. "We should get this done."

Daniel helped Nora out, lifted Robbie in his arms, and reached for Nora's trembling hand. Shivering despite warm coats, they started for the ultra-modern glass building housing the Sheriff's courts to wait for Nora's parents. A pair of lions at the entrance distracted Robbie, making the wait a little easier. 

 "Here they come." Nora nudged Daniel. It was a relief to see the McGregors, Don and Rose all walking toward them.

"Wonder what happened to Don; he's walking a mite stiff, isn't he?" Daniel noticed.

Robbie's head popped up from behind the massive sculpture. "Is Don hurt, Daniel?" he asked.

"Nah, I'm sure he's fine," Daniel said, lifting Robbie from the statue.

"Hey, Cuz," Don greeted when they walked up.

"Thanks for coming. Rose, really. It means a lot." Daniel said, smiling at the way her parents hugged Nora. "Mr McGregor, Mrs McGregor." He nodded.They made him nervous. He couldn't help it; they smiled, they were polite, even warm, but the way Mr McGregor studied him, he felt like a bug under a microscope.

"Daniel," her father said, returning the nod as he gathered his grandson in his arms. At least her mother flashed him a warm smile. 

"Daniel, you can let go of my daughter's hand, she is fine," her mother said, chuckling.

"We should go find the solicitor. Don, are you okay?" Nora glanced at her tenant and friend, a bit worried.

"Yeah, I had a run-in with a suspect last night. I won, enough said," he said with a cheeky smile.  "Rose is staying around to play nurse."

Daniel arched one eyebrow at the comment.

"Not like that," she answered the expression on Daniel's face, elbowing Don at the same time.  

  "Right," Daniel smiled, "I'm glad you stuck around instead of going back to London."  

"I'm using up my holiday time before I go back.  I haven't had one in the last five years. I thought I was due."

"I'd say," Daniel chuckled. The constantly tired look in Rose's eyes had fled. They sparkled again. "So, into the breach, as they say," he said. No one missed the way he clutched Nora's hand.

Watching Robbie bury his head against his grandfather's shoulder, Daniel wished that they could have left him at home. The solicitor fought to keep him out of this mess, but the judge insisted on talking to him. The group trudged silently into the building and found their way to the third-floor hallway. Designed to promote a sense of calm in nervous or distraught visitors, the ultra modern building contained a six-story central atrium housing an aviary. Visitors and staff could watch songbirds and colourful finches fly through and around trees growing year round in the centre, or they could go up to a sixth-floor gallery for a grand view of Glesga's central government district.