4 years later

4 Y E A R S L A T E R

Iris hums the lyrics to little Sadie as people dance around her. She was currently standing with Tommy and Maria, waiting for Joel to come back with their drinks, the husband and wife spoke among themselves, laughing and smiling, as Joel came back carrying their alcohol. He handed them their beverages as he took his place beside Iris, he nudged her shoulder with his and asked, "you having a good time?"

She nodded as she took a sip, "I've got a drink in my hand, of course I am." He chuckled as he stared down at her, she wasn't looking at him, she went back to watching people dance in the middle of the room. He thought that she looked beautiful, her black hair was let down from her usual tight bun and left to fall down in loose curls just above her shoulders, and her chocolate eyes reflected the mass amounts of fairy lights around the room, she looked a lot younger and relaxed than she normally did.

His gazing was interrupted by his brother clearing his throat, as both Tommy and Maria gave him knowing glances, but Joel brushed them off, "how're things with Ellie?" Maria asked, sympathy running in her eyes.

Both Joel and Iris looked over to the girl in question, she had grown up so much since they saved her from the fireflies. Her red hair was tucked back into a bun, and she had grown much taller in the five years they had been at the settlement, she had surpassed Iris in height years ago, and she now had a tattoo on her right arm, covering where her bite mark was, given to her by her ex girlfriend, Cat.

Iris sighed quietly as she dropped her head, "we honestly don't know. She hardly talks to us these days." Joel runs his hand up and down her arm, silently comforting her, "she'll come around." Tommy piped up with smile. "I hope so." Iris frowned.

A slower song begins to play as couples populate the dance floor, including Tommy and Maria and Ellie and Dina. Joel and Iris are left alone, as they watch the girls dance in bliss, Joel takes the glass out of the smaller woman's hand as he leads her to the floor, "what are you doing?" She giggles, "dancing." He replies shortly. "I thought you said I couldn't dance." Joel smirks slightly, "I'll lead."

He places his arms around her lower back and pulls her in closer, she wraps her arms around her neck and leans her head on his chest as they sway to the beat, "this is nice." Iris whispers, Joel hums in agreement.

They dance in content silence, the music fueling their movement, Iris raises her head to look at him, now they close enough that they could feel their breathe on their faces. Joel leans down slightly and their lips graze each other's, Iris looks into his hazel eyes and closes the gap between them. Their lips mould together like they were made for each other, they move closer to each other and continue to kiss until they pull back for air, they lean their foreheads together, "you have no idea how long I've been waiting for this." Joel rasps.

She laughs airily, "I think I do." Joel plants a much shorter kiss onto her lips as they sway together with huge grins on their faces. Their moment however was interrupted by arguing.

"Just what this town needs, another loud-mouthed dyke." Seth, a cook in Jackson yells at Ellie and Dina, the former swivels around and begins to stalks towards the drunken man, "what the fuck did you just say?" Joel rushes out of Iris's arms as he shoves Seth away, "get the hell out of here." Iris quickly stands in front of Joel and puts her hand on his chest him gently to try and prevent a fight from breaking out, but Seth says, "get your hands off me." As he steps forward.

Maria and Tommy step in, "hey! Enough. Come on you, let's go for a walk." Seth points at Ellie and Joel, "what about them?" Maria turns him around, "you worry about yourself." Tommy walks them out, "let's get you some fresh air."

Joel and Iris walk over to Ellie, "you okay kiddo?" He asks. "What is wrong with you." Ellie snaps, "he had no right-" Joel begins.

"And you do?" She cuts him off, "he was just trying to help, Ellie." Iris says, Ellie looks at her and replies, "I don't need his fucking help Iris, and I don't need yours either." The two are taken a back by her harsh words, "right." Joel nods, he turns away, taking Iris's hand in his own.

. • ° ______ ° • .

Joel is strumming away on his six string as Iris walks out with a mug, it was filled with coffee, her face was scrunched up as she places it down on the table, "I don't know how you drink this stuff." She shuffles around him to sit on the other chair, Joel scoffs, "it's good." Iris snorts at his response, "it's really not but okay." She leans in the arm of the chair and looks at him in admiration as he plays the guitar.

The sound of boots on their porch makes Joel stop the music, "hey." He greets. He places his guitar down as Ellie stands at the edge of the balcony, he and Iris stand up and stand by the girl, "what're you drinking?" Ellie asks.

"Coffee." Joel replies, "where'd you get that?" The redhead wonders. "Uh, those people that came through last week." He recalls, "oh." Ellie mumbles.

"A little embarrassed as to what I had to trade to get it but, it's not bad." He takes a sip, "hey, I made it for you, so it's perfect." Iris huffs beside him, he looks down at her amused, Ellie glances at them with a smile before it drops. "I had Seth under control." Ellie begins, "yeah, I know." Joel replies. "And you need to stop harassing Jesse about my patrols." She tells the two. "Okay." Iris nods.

"Dina, is she your girlfriend?" He asks, "no! No, she- that was just one kiss, it doesn't mean anything. She just... I don't know why she did that." Ellie rambles, "but you do like her." Iris says.

"I'm so stupid." Ellie whispers. "Look, I have no idea what that girls intentions are, but... I do know that she would be lucky to have you." Joel reassures her.

"You're such assholes!" Ellie growls, "we're not trying to-" she cuts Iris off, "I was suppose to die in that hospital. My life would've fucking mattered. But you two took that from me."

She scoffs as Joel straightens up, "if the Lord some how gave us a second chance at that moment... I would do it, all over again." Ellie looks away from him, "yeah... I just... I don't think I could ever forgive you guys for that." She pauses, "but I would like to try."

"I'd like that." Iris nods as tears begin to fill her and Joel's eyes. "Okay. I'll see you around." She turns to walk around. "Yep." Joel's voice breaks.

Ellie's footsteps slowly disappear from earshot and the two were left blinking back tears of relief, Iris wipes her eyes before pulling Joel into a tight hug, he wraps his arms around her and they stay that way for a while, Joel pulls away and pecks a loving kiss to her lips and sits back down in his chair, he begins to play the guitar again and she stays with her back to the balcony, watching with a small smile.