Chapter 38

Ava's pov

The taxi ride was short as must people were at work meaning there was minimum traffic. Before I knew it, the taxi had reached my destination in front of my apartment gate. The taxi driver didn't bother coming into the premises and apparently, Mr. Morgan had the expenses of the ride covered so I didn't have to pay a thing.

It was difficult to take the boxes from the front gate and into the apartment complex, but I managed. When I finally got into the apartment building, I decided it was best to leave one box downstairs and quickly make my way upstairs to drop the box I was currently holding.

Once it was safely in my apartment, I went down the stairs to retrieve the next one. As I made my way down the stairs, I was surprised to see Damien holding the box I had left and was about to come up the stairs.

'Damien' I called out in an attempt to get his attention. Upon hearing my voice, he looked up and saw me.

He immediately smiled 'Ava, I was thinking this was yours, so I decided to help take it for you'

'Thank you, Damien. Let me take it off you' I said as I reached out to take the box from his hold.

'That will not be necessary, I've got it'

I left it for him to carry. He followed me as I lead the way to my apartment.

'So, you really did get fired? How is that possible you were the best they had'

During the short journey from the office to my apartment I texted Damien not knowing who else to talk to. I wanted to vent and relieve some of the anger and frustration I felt within.

I texted saying I got fired from my job, but I didn't state why. It took him a while to text back probably because of how busy his schedule is.

As I was taking the boxes inside the apartment building, I got a text which I haven't yet opened but I'm guessing it was from him since he is here now.

'I did. I am still trying to figure out how I went from having a job I was passionate about and looked forward to going to every morning to not having one at all in the space of a couple of hours.

'Care to state what the reason is, as in why you got fired?' Damien asked curiosity getting the better of him.

'They accused me of money laundering. The board of directors made it clear to me that they had proof that I stole money from the business because it was redirected to me' I spoke recalling the very moment they broke the news to me. Which took me by surprise because it was my first time hearing such thing simply because I didn't do it.

'Wow, Ava how is that even possible. How could they possibly think you would be capable of such a thing' Damien spoke in a shocked manner. He too could not believe the reason in why I was made redundant.

I opened my apartment door for him to go through once he did, I locked the door.

He placed the box beside the other one I had previously brought up, on the table in the kitchen. He walked over to where I stood beside the door and hugged me.

'Ava, I'm sorry you had to go through that'

'It's not your fault. You weren't there but do you know who was, Mr. Morgan' I mumbled I could not deny the venom in my voice as his name passed my lips.

'I need to speak to him. CEO to another CEO. He of all people should know you can't do such a thing. He employed you for God's sake not only that but you two have grown to know each other more than just employer and employee' Damien spoke being the only voice of reasoning I have heard all day.