ch. 14 • a forced visit

Morning came but Roman was nowhere to be seen. Comway informed me he went to the White Tower for an urgent meeting. I hoped everything was okay.

Shelley spent time reading. I wanted to ask her if she heard Roman and me fight yesterday but decided not to. Instead, I went back to my room.

I received a text from Daniel.

"Good morning. You okay?"

I texted him back that I was feeling much much better after some rest.

Roman didn't know who dropped me last night, and I intended to keep it that way. He wouldn't understand, get all riled up, and probably hurt Daniel if he knew. I knew he probably still could't stand Daniel. I hated lying but I knew him all too well.

Even though I didn't have classes, I went to the university to work on the project the researchers were working on- using medicine to satiate hunger. To be completely honest, I cared less about the research itself and more about how I could help Roman with it. Yes, he had Pryce to help, but Pryce was only 'helping' so he could use Roman, and I didn't want that to happen.

When I came back home, Roman was waiting for me in the kitchen. So was Peter.

"Guys, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing," Roman replied as soon as the words came out of my mouth. "Actually, I was thinking how you haven't seen your mother in a while. She misses you probably."

"Yeah..." I said, not knowing where this was going.

"So, I've been thinking about how you should go visit her. She'll be happy," Roman said.

"Uh, Peter, do you mind?" I asked, and Peter nodded and exited.

"Okay, just because last night we had a normal people conversation doesn't mean this isn't suspicious."

"I'm telling you, just go see her. Stay the night, you know. She'll like it."

"Wait, are you seeing someone else?" my eyes widened.

"Liana, Shelley's still home. And even if she weren't, I don't have the time to cheat on you. One relationship is more than enough," Roman sighed.

"Right," I said. "Okay, I'll go, but I'm going to ask Shelley for details," I told Roman.

"Yeah whatever you wish. Peter will drive you."

"I can drive to my own house by myself, thank you very much," I crossed my arms. "Peter can go home."

"Can you not argue with me on everything. Just trust me," Roman let out a deep breath.

I knew he had been patient, and it definitely wouldn't be wise to tick him off again. So I just agreed. I was suspicious as to why Roman was doing everything, but daily fights weren't going to cut it. And soon, Peter and I were on our way.

The ride to my mother's house was quiet. I was tired, and took a nap most of the way there. I was sort of nervous seeing her. It had been a while, and our phone calls during the past several months were very brief.

I rung the doorbell and waited at the front door of the house I grew up in. Peter put his hand on my shoulder.

"Who is it?" I faintly heard from the other side. The door opened, and immediately, my mother threw herself on me and embraced me.

"Liana, I missed you so, so much! How are you? How is everything? How is school? Who is this?"

"Mama, Mama, Mama, calm down," I laughed. "I'll tell you more inside, but this is Peter. He is a friend of Roman and mine."

"Please, come in," my mother said as she led us to the living room. "It's generous of you to bring her here, Peter. Thank you."

"Eh, nothing better to do on a cloudy afternoon. And she isn't too hard to share a car ride with," he smiled.

"What brings you here all of a sudden?" my mother said.

"I thought maybe you told Roman you missed me," I said.

"Roman and I don't talk," my mother's voice got stern, and the smile fell off her face. "He's treating you alright?"

"Yeah, everything's good," I said. I mean, I guess it sort of was now. He was nice last night. After he yelled at me a whole lot.

Peter cleared his voice. "I feel like you both should talk on your own. I gotta make a phone call anyway. I'll be outside."

With Peter gone, my mother asked me again if everything was alright and I assured her it was.

"You worry a lot. I'm sorry I haven't kept up with you, but I just am so occupied with everything and-"

"Sweetie, I understand. You don't have to explain things to me. I just want you to be okay. This whole contract thing- I always imagined you getting married to a man who loves you and cherishes you. I didn't think things would end up like this."

"Mama, I'm okay. I will admit my relationship with Roman is rocky, but he has a very sweet sister and cousin. And there's Peter. I have good company. I'm just a little weirded out why he sent me here today."

"Me too," my mother responded.

Peter came back just then, seeming rather frustrated.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah? Yeah, everything's fine," he said.

I knew something was up. And Peter was in on it. But what could it be? The worst thoughts kept rotating around my mind. What were they hiding from me?

My mother made dinner for Peter and me. We were having a good time, but those thoughts kept nagging me. I helped my mother set a bed up for Peter, even though he insisted he was fine in the car.

Before bed, I went to the living room, and saw a worried expression on Peter.

"Okay, that's it. You're telling me right now what's wrong. Don't lie, please."

"If I tell you, you need to promise me you won't tell me to drive you to Roman's right now."

This heightened my anxiety. "Peter, what's wrong??"

He sighed. "I guess I should just tell you. It's Olivia."