ch. 27 • being lovely hosts

I twisted and turned in feeling agitated by the warmth in my room.  I swore I slept with the aircon on. Finally, I woke up to see Roman in front of me, sitting on the chair beside my coffee table. He was wearing a fitted olive tee and joggers. His hair was ruffled, and the expression on his face told me he had been waiting for me to wake up.

I sprung up and pulled up my blanket to cover me, even though I felt really hot. A silk pajama was too showy with him around.

"What, what are you doing here?" I asked him, trying to scan his face for hints.

His expression changed to a more mellow look. "No good morning?" he asked as he crossed his long legs.

"Maybe if you weren't creepily staring at me until I woke up," I commented.

"You don't know what I was doing. Don't make assumptions."

"Okay, whatever. Why are you here?" I asked quickly again, really wishing he'd leave me alone.

Roman cleared his voice and said, "I need you to sleep with me tonight."

If I had water, I'd spit it out on his face. "I'm sorry, what?" I asked, my eyes probably the widest they've been.

"No, not sleep with me, stay in my room, I meant," Roman clarified. Ohh, that was more reasonable.

"May I ask why?" I tried sounding dignified, like a head-mistress of a private school. I don't know if it came out that way.

"The fiasco yesterday? Well, word obviously broke out, and one of our major out-of-state investors called me and told me of drawing back his shares. I, in a rush, told him to come over here, so I could show him how everything was handled all right. And I invited him to stay over here for the night. There are no five star hotels in a 30 mile radius from Hemlock Grove, but our mansion would do fine."

"I had no idea that your investor was going to check every room in the house, Roman. Typically, guests don't do that."

"So it's a no from you?" Roman raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms.

"Of course. I'm not staying in your bedroom."

"But sweetheart, this occasion wouldn't have risen if you didn't call the department, would it? It's only fair that you do this one thing."

I rolled my eyes. I really couldn't win with him. It was really hot too, and I wanted to just get him out of here as soon as possible, so I could actually let go of this blanket. "Ugh fine, fine. I'll give up this room for a night. I really don't know why he has to come up and see this floor at all," I groaned.

Roman gave me a cheeky smile. "Very well, then. I'm going to the Tower to make sure everything's alright there. Comway will take care of things here."

On his way out, Roman tossed the air con remote at me. Of course he had it.

I put the blanket down and turned the air con on. I took a shower and changed into an old t-shirt and some leggings and decided to help Comway and Shelley with the house. Letha came and helped some too and left with Shelley. Better if she wasn't here today. Any other day, it would've been fine, but not with this investor. Plus, Shelley wasn't a fan of strangers who only had ties with her brother through money. Except me, of course.

The mansion was almost always spotless. I don't know how Comway managed, but he did. We cooked some mashed potatoes, asparagus, a vegetable medley, and some rib-eye steak. Had to serve whoever this was the best of what we had. I offered to clean the driveway and push the snow out.

Neither of us had eaten the entire day, tiring after a man we've not met but was important to the institute. By the end of it all, I couldn't believe it was already 5:30pm. I had to go make myself look presentable. And move some things to Roman's room. Comway assured me he could handle the kitchen while I was gone. I made him promise to let me do kitchen duty afterwards, and then I rushed to my room.

I began throwing clothes out of my drawer and on my bed. What was suitable nightwear? I opted for a big tshirt and gym shorts. No silk tonight. And I took what I was planning to wear for tomorrow out of the hanger too. And what I would wear right after I took my second shower of the day after working so much.

Once I showered and got what I needed, I locked my door, took out the key, and went to Roman's room to drop my things off. They weren't here yet, thank goodness. I wore a black, A-line dress. Classic and hostess-like and did my hair into a bun, as elegant as I could get it. This made me feel like all the time I had to present in front of a panel on my experiences in the clinic while shadowing. Intimidating for sure.

The doorbell's sound echoed through the almost hollow mansion. Comway, now dressed in proper butler clothes, answered the door and let Roman and another man in.

The man had a head full of grey-white-black hair. Thick glasses rested on his eyes. His face was etched with semi-visible wrinkles. He wore a grim expression and had a trimmed beard. He looked experienced in whatever he did. And his dark brown suit told me he had no lack of money. Roman and the man stepped in, as Comway took the man's briefcase and welcomed them.

I walked my way down the stairs and greeted the man. Roman came closer to me and kissed me on the side of my head. "Liana, this is Mr. Isaac Tulane. Mr. Tulane, my wife, Liana."

I shook hands with the man. They seemed cold. Considering it was freezing outside, I didn't blame him.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Tulane. Please make yourself at home. Would you like something to drink?"

"Some water will do. Thank you," he said.

Roman looked at me. With his eyes, he asked me if everything was set. I nodded.

Dinner was an absolute success. Mr. Tulane loved the food and had opened up some more. He was well-learned in business, articulate with his words, but also made light-hearted comments from time to time. He talked to Roman mostly about business and asked me about all that I did.

After the meal and some warm pecan pie, Mr. Tulane decided to talk to Roman in a more private setting, so they went to the study while Comway and I cleaned up the kitchen.

"Thank you for helping, darling. I couldn't have done it without you," Comway said.

"I should be thanking you for doing all of this in such short notice. And for every day, really. I'll talk to Roman, and we'll get you a someone. I know you can work this much a day, but you shouldn't have to," I said, drying the dishes.

Whatever conversation they had inside was pleasant because both my husband dearest and Mr. Tulane came out seeming rather happy.

"Well, I am quite tired, and we do have to get up early to see the institute, so I should be getting to bed. Again, Mr. Godfrey, this has been more than generous of you. Mrs. Godfrey, you are an excellent hostess.Very hospitable."

"Thank you, Mr. Tulane. I will escort you to your room," I said. Walking up the stairs, I looked back at Roman who just smiled at me. It felt warm.  

►▸note: I need to tell you that the morning conversation between Roman and Liana was probably my favorite thing to write so far. also, I'd appreciate if you voted and commented. thank you for reading so far!