ch. 29 • pure admiration

Early morning sunlight hit my face as I felt something flung across my right ribs. I opened my eyes to see it was Roman's arm. I looked to my left and saw we were definitely in closer proximity than we were when we went to sleep. I paused and just stared at him for a second. There was his soft, chestnut hair falling on his temple. His eyes were closed, and his soft, pink lips were slightly parted. I recalled the time he kissed me. It was only once and only for pretense, but it felt real at the time. I could see the rise and fall of his chest as he slowly breathed.

He looked like an angel, soft, harmless, beautiful. Of course that would all change once he actually woke up, but for now, I let those thoughts melt away in admiration. I never really told him how handsome he was. But I guess I didn't need to. He owned the town, and he had girls throwing themselves at him probably all the time from what I heard. He probably got commented on his looks so much he may have grown tired of it. It was hard to believe he hadn't slept with anyone after our contract, but he really didn't have the time. He worked all day.

I don't know what came over me, but I touched a few strands of his glossy, dark brown hair. Just so I would know what it felt like. It was a bad idea because that's when his eyebrows furrowed and he opened his eyes to look at me. He noticed where his arm was and retracted it immediately and got up.

"How long have you been awake?" he asked, in a raspy morning voice. It sounded sexy, but who was going to tell him that? Not me.

"I just woke up. It's a lot less colder now. Thank you for giving me the blankets and everything," I said as I sat up too.

"I'm up a little earlier than intended, but that's fine. Had to make a call anyway," Roman stared at the wall in front of him, and then left the bed to go to the bathroom.

I facepalmed myself. I swear I was so stupid. I hope he didn't think I was a creep.

I didn't know if I should leave yet. I decided not to. So I waited and just took in the sunlight while trying to wrestle with my thoughts in my head.

Roman came out with a towel wrapped dangerously low around his hips. This time, I really don't know what came over me, but I actually looked at him. Actually, I stared.

"No more shrieking now, huh?" When he saw me not respond he added, "Well, if this was going to happen, I would've invited you to a sleepover long ago." Then he laughed.

If I could blush, I definitely would. I looked down, not really knowing what to say. "Is, um, it okay if I shower here?"

"You know, you could've just gone in with me. Saving the environment; all the buzz going on right now."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright. Mr. Godfrey, that'll do for one morning," I said as I grabbed my clothes and went in.

When I came out, Roman was in a fresh new suit, with his semi-wet hair on its way to being slicked back. The room smelled like that intoxicating perfume he had on many nights ago.

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" asked Roman, trying to get his hair to part the right way.

"No, it actually wasn't. I get why you blast the AC. Definitely helps you fall asleep when you're under those cozy blankets."

"Exactly. Well, Tulane's probably getting ready too. We'll have breakfast at the Tower, so no need for you or Comway to work hard this morning. You both deserve a little break," Roman said, giving his hair a final few stroked back, then patting it.

He turned towards me and asked, "Do I look professional enough?"

I laughed. "You've been doing this for what? 7-ish years now? You know how professionalism looks much better than I do."

Roman's expression changed. He came closer, and I kept stepping back until I hit the drawers behind me.

He whispered against my ear, "Liana, I'm not a fucking painting in the Louvre." No, he was more gorgeous than that. "You don't have to admire from afar or when I'm sleeping. You're sort of allowed to touch me now."

My heart beat fast upon hearing that. So he did catch me. I didn't even know what to say. "Don't you have some calls to attend?" I tried to divert the topic. Man, my own awkwardness was such a buzzkill.

"Those can wait for a second. Hey, look at me," Roman said, his raspy morning voice slowly fading off. I wish it hadn't.

I met my eyes with his, and then he tipped my chin up. I knew what was coming. I closed my eyes and felt him lean in and set his lips on mine. I closed my eyes and savored in the moment. They were definitely the softest things to exist and one way to elevate my heartbeat super fast. Part of me wanted this feeling and moment to never end, but it did.

As quickly as he had attached them, he removed them and smiled at me. "Have a good morning to yourself," he winked then went out the door.

My heart started beating even faster after he left. He had kissed me. Yes, it was just a peck, but he actually kissed me, and this time, it wasn't for show. I don't know why I got all excited like a schoolgirl, but it made me smile so wide. And this time, the smile was genuine all the way through. 

►▸note: I hope you're enjoying a more toned down, nicer Roman now. also, thank you so much for getting this to 500 reads!! I appreciate you so much