Chapter 56 ~ "Show them what you're made of"

Nate

"Do you think this is going to work?" I ask Alex as I frantically pull off my gear.

"It better, she skates in a few hours and I want to be there." He huffs.

Our early morning game had gone well, after winning that one we played another directly after that. Sasha's brothers we absolutely unstoppable, they seemed more determined than ever to win and and play a clean game.

I of course was praying we'd win our two games, then our next one was the following afternoon, the final. Then we'd be regional champions. 

We had an hour and a half to get to our flight to Boston. Then an hour on the flight and we'd be racing to the arena to see her before her final skate.

It was a plan we'd kept secret from Sasha intentionally incase something had gone amiss. I didn't want to let her down and be the reason she was having a hard time concentrating. 

We rush quickly out of the change-rooms saying goodbye to our team until tomorrow. Then we were getting our overnight bags and piling into Alex's car.

"I hope this works out." He mumbles.

"She'll be happy at least." Nik says. "She seemed pretty worried before she left and she told me she felt absolutely awful no one was coming to watch us skate."

"You didn't tell her we were coming last night, right Carter?" Alex asks and I shake my head.

"No, I swear. She just wanted to talk to me, I think she seemed a little anxious." I admit and I watch the car speed up a bit.

"I hope dad's leaving her alone." Alex groans. "I think it secretly kills him he doesn't have a role in any of this anymore."

"Well that could be true, but she didn't say anything about it." I assure him and he nods parking his car in the airport lot.

The three of us quickly get our carry-ons, plane tickets and driver's licenses. Everything just feels like a blur and a race against the clock. I remember quickly running our things through and x-ray and walking through a body scanner of some type. Nik almost killed a TSA agent when he was sent off to secondary screening, but the test was quick and soon enough we were rushing to the gate. 

"G-nine....G-ten....this is it, G-eleven. Destination, Boston, Massachusetts." Alex declares and I breathe easy seeing we're ten minutes early. "I'm going to run and use the washroom, watch my stuff?" He asks and I nod.

I watch Alex run to a nearby washroom and then it's just me and Nik. The only thing Sasha's brothers and I bonded over, was Sasha. I know there was some part of them that really resented me still for how I'd treated her previously.

"So.....Sasha seemed good last night?" He asks and I nod.

"She seemed like her usual self." I tell him with a shrug. He nods a bit at that, like he's processing that information.

"I really worry about her, especially with all the stuff that's happened recently." He sighs. "Look I know that Sabrina and Jake were two of the people you used to be closest with......but I know, just like Sasha tried to convince me months ago, you're not one of those people." He tells me and I blow out a tense breath.

"My sister is one of the only people I have, we were each others' family when our parents were too neglectful to care. She's one of the best people there is, she really tries to see good in people and she's nicer than she seems on the outside. I love my sister to death, I'll admit I didn't think she'd have a boyfriend anytime soon, but if she's going to be with someone....I'm glad it's you."