CHAPTER 15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

She should have known Eva was lying. Her lies were blatantly glaring but she was too blind to see it because she was so concerned with being in Uche's house and being envied by all the other girls.

"Why don't you come in?" Uche offered, his heart was beating erratically, he couldn't believe she was at his door post, looking as beautiful as ever. He watched her hesitate, still looking at Eva retreating vehicle like she wished to grow wings.

Nma looked at him and saw he was dressed in slim trouser and shirts. He looked like a young executive who was going to have drinks with his colleagues.

"I won't keep you; I see you are on your way out"

"Not exactly, come on in. I don't know what games my sister is playing but come in, I will get my jacket and take you home"

She heaved a sigh and followed him inside in. what was the big deal in being his house? After all she had been in his house before and all hell didn't let loose. Her inner turmoil ceased for just a moment as her heart stopped beating with the share splendor and beauty of the living room. It looked like something out of a fictitious work. She watched him pour himself a drink and swallowed it in one gulp. Then she really looked at him, he looked like he had lost some weight. And her heart went out to him, she wanted to reach out and touch him and soothe away his pains but she didn't dare. She didn't want him to mistake compassion for passion. In retrospect she was pleased to know that she wasn't the only one suffering. He must have suffered too; she could see it in his gaunt face.

"How have you been" Uche heard himself ask. She was looking as good as always. There was no indication that she had suffered. Why? He asked himself couldn't he just forget her? What was it about her? And the worst part of the whole thing was that it was from no effort on her part.

"I am fine" she answered and took a seat.

"I am sorry I am here but Eva told me you were out of town and she was just hosting a few friends here. I thought I was coming for an all girls' party" she tried smiling and he smiled back

"That sounds like my meddling sister" he replied and took a step towards her.

She panicked and looked for something to fill the silence. "But I should have seen through her lies, why would she host her friends in your house?"

He turned to look at her intensely "So why didn't you see through it?"

She stared back at him. There was no way she was going to tell him truth. She was not going to shed her last dignity and pride and tell him that she was here because she wanted to feel close to him.

"Why didn't you see through her lies?" Uche repeated again

"You might not know it but I think your sister missed her talent, she is a very good actress" she answered flippantly. Hoping he would believe her.

"I don't believe you" Uche told her

Okay now what, she asked herself, because there was no way he was going to know the truth not from her anyway and not while he was a few paces from her. So she said what she thought was the best to remedy the situation. "Do you have another explanation for it, surely you must know that seeing you is the last thing I would want after what happened the last time"

"Then why are you clenching and un -clenching your fingers"

She swallowed her next flow of words and looked down at her tightly clenched fingers. She hadn't realized that she was doing that, she was only vaguely aware that she was fisting her fingers because they were only itching to do one thing, slide round his neck in a passionate kiss.