CHAPTER 22

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"You are forgetting one thing Amber; you left her when she needed you most"

Nma gasped with shock, she wanted to turn away but she couldn't do so rather she opened the door and saw Amber. The woman whom she had always adored, the woman she used to day dream was her mother, the woman who had just confessed she was her mother. In her shock, she noticed that gone were all her sophistication and perfect comportment. She was wearing an abaya and no make up. Her appearance helped make it clear to her that she was not dreaming, that indeed Amber was the her mother. A woman who left an eight months old baby in search of her dreams yet that wasn't the most painful part of it, the most painful part of it was that Felix knew all along and never told her.

The two of them were very engrossed in their argument that they didn't notice her.

"I might have left her when she needed me but I was never that far Felix and you know it, in my way I have watched over her! I was there for her, when she had no one"

"Amber! Nma doesn't need you now if you have any heart at all you will stay away and leave her in peace. Or at least not until we find a way to ease her into the idea"

"She needs me now Felix, oh you haven't told her?"

" I am waiting for her to come back, so I can tell her face to face "

Nma wanted to make her appearance known but she was more curious to hear the other secret they were keeping from her.

"She needs me now more than ever. She is broke Felix. She needs her mother now"

First of all, Nma thought, she didn't need Amber and what did she mean, broke. Nma was puzzled, how was she broke?

"She is getting married to a billionaire..."

"Then you don't know her" Amber rejoined

At that point she had heard enough, Nma was dying inside, she was past feeling, she had just lost the love of her life, her mother had just shown up after twenty six years, what other news could be more severe. There was nothing else for her, except to make something clear to Felix.

"Uche and I broke up three days ago, so right now I have no one"

They both turned to look at her

"How long have you been standing there Nma?" Felix asked shocked

"Long enough" she replied coolly she was not going to show either of them how betrayed she felt.

She ignored Amber, she was not going to dignify her presence by throwing tantrum or showing her how hurt she was

"Felix, how am I broke?"

She concentrated on Felix and refused to glance at Amber even as the pain in heart tore at her breaking her heart all over again.

Felix stared at her loss for words. He had never been this afraid in his life, never this sorrowful or regretful.

"Answer me!"

"Nma maybe you should sit down" Amber suggested

And Nma finally turned to her. She refused to let her to see the pain in her heart.

"Hello mother" she managed a smile "Felix is right about one thing, I don't need you, you are twenty six years six month and five days late. You absolutely have no right to ask anything of me" she turned back

Amber is visibly close to tears

"I am waiting Felix"

"Didn't you receive any kind of alert from United Bank?"