Chapter 36

Following my night of restless sleep, I get up early on Monday morning and sneak into Kristin's room where Kat is still sleeping. I climb onto the bed beside my sister, just like I used to do when were little girls. I gently shake her awake, not wanting to frighten her, but we need to leave soon. Kat has always been more of a light sleeper, so it doesn't take much to wake her. I tell her that I'll make some coffee while she gets dressed.

Kat joins me in the living room, dragging her small suitcase behind her. She sets it beside the door and then fixes herself a cup of coffee before joining me on the couch. We sit together quietly, sipping our coffee when we hear a light knock. I open the door and Aunt Madi asks if we're all set. We both nod, letting her know that we're ready to go. I set both of our mugs in the sink and then we're out the door. Kat puts her suitcase in the trunk and we climb into the car. Our drive through the city is surprisingly quiet. I'm dreading having to say goodbye to Kat, but when we arrive at Logan airport, we both manage to keep it together.

Kat makes a point to remind me that I can come home any time I want to, but she also says, "I think Boston has been really good for you. You seem happy here." I feel my eyes getting glassy but somehow, I manage to hold back any actual tears. We squeeze each other tight and exchange I love yous before I have to watch her walk away and get on the plane.

Aunt Madi and I make our way back to the car. The air is cool this morning, so she turns the heat on in the car to warm us. I hold my hand up and feel the warm air pumping from the vent. I pull my phone out and tap the screen to wake it up. I type a message to Dex, *Leaving the airport now. I let a smile pull at my lips when I read his reply, *Okay. I'll be waiting at your place. I set my phone down in the center console and catch Aunt Madi grinning at me.

"Is that Dexter you're texting?" she asks. I forgot that she and Uncle Jack know the family well, since Kristin and Luke have been together for a couple years.

"Yes," I reply without giving anything more. I can feel the atmosphere in the car change, as the air suddenly feels heavy between us.

I hear as she takes a deep breath, "Mia," she sighs. "I know I'm not your mother, but I do have something I'd like to talk to you about. I've had a similar conversation with Kristin and while I love my daughter, I'm not sure she has really considered what I said to her." I bite my lip, unsure what to expect. I really hope this isn't some type of safe sex talk, because my mom gave me that when I was a teenager and I've been on birth control since I was seventeen. I look in her direction, noticing that her fingers are gripping the steering wheel, causing the color to drain from her hands. She definitely seems nervous.

"What is it Aunt Madi?" I question, still unsure if I really want to hear what she's about to say.

She takes another deep breath and her voice starts quiet, "It's just that I know how completely infatuated both you and Kristin are with those boys, but have you thought towards the future at all?"

"What do you mean?" I ask.

She loosens her grip slightly and glances in my direction, offering a small smile. "Both of those boys have futures in hockey. They live and breathe for that game. Dexter will leave after this year and Luke will do the same next year. I don't think any of you have really considered what that means. You know that I don't want to put any unnecessary stress or anxiety on you, I just want you to see the big picture. I love the Miller family too. We've grown close to them over the past couple years. Both of those boys are incredibly hard working and they have the potential for amazing futures ahead of the, however I have to think about my daughter and now my niece. I don't want to see either of you heartbroken when they have to leave."

I take a minute to absorb the weight of what she just said. I knew Dex would be going pro after this year, but I hadn't really thought about how that would affect our relationship. We love each other, but it's still brand new and we've been spending most of our time getting to know each other, not thinking about or discussing the future.

I clear my throat, "Thanks Aunt Madi. I hadn't thought about that. I'm not sure I'm ready to have that talk with Dex just yet, but I'll keep it in mind." I offer her a small smile. I know she means well, but I am not ready to think that far down the road.

Luckily our conversation can't go any further as she pulls into the driveway. I practically leap from the car when I see Dex open his door and step out of the Range Rover. He looks like a dream with his red BU baseball cap on backwards and black wayfarers covering his eyes.

"Hello Dexter," Aunt Madi says bringing out her best school teacher voice. I smile and a small laugh escapes. I know it annoys him slightly when he gets called Dexter.

"Hi Mrs. Larsen. It's nice to see you," his deep voice replies politely.

I reach out for his hand as he approaches and lace my fingers through his. "Thanks Aunt Madi," I say over my shoulder as Dex and I walk together into the apartment. "I just need to grab my backpack before we go to campus," I smile at him.

"How'd it go at the airport?" he asks with his voice full of concern. He pulls the sunglasses from his face and lifts my chin lightly so I'm looking into his eyes. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good," I say but I can see the doubt swirling in his brown eyes. "Really, it wasn't too bad. I mean, obviously I'm going to miss her but I'll text her and talk to her all the time. It was great having her here though. I'll have to make a trip home soon so I can see my parents too." He's quick to react, grabbing my wrist lightly as I turn to grab my backpack from the floor. He turns me back to face him.

"You're going back to California? When?" he asks surprise obvious in his voice.

"Holidays, you know Thanksgiving and Christmas," I smile as he pulls me close, wrapping his arms around me.

"Let's not talk about that now. The holidays are months away, we'll deal with that later." A gorgeous smile comes across his full lips, "You excited to finally see me in action on Friday night?" he asks suddenly confident and full of swagger.

Truthfully, I can't wait to see him out on the ice Friday night, but I think I'll have a little fun with him. I lean into his ear and whisper, "I'm incredibly excited to watch you play on Friday night, but I'm even more excited to see you in action right now." I pull back slightly, laughing as I watch his chin drop in surprise. "Let's go, we have to get back to campus for afternoon classes and you have practice later," I say still laughing at his expression. His eyes get darker as he takes my backpack from my hand and sets it back to the floor. He lifts me up and my legs instinctively wrap around him, "We're going to miss our classes," I start to argue.

"No, we won't. I can make you feel real good real fast and then I'll get you to your class," his words make me weak and I'm positive he can fulfill that promise as he carries me down the hallway and into my bedroom.