Chapter Five

While I was relieved my father hadn't sent me on a wild goose chase, the task continued to be daunting

While I was relieved my father hadn't sent me on a wild goose chase, the task continued to be daunting. Claude's hostility didn't only likely confirm the existence of a secret successor but also rendered the idea of befriending him and wheedling information out of him futile. He didn't trust me, and would never trust me. He'd made that clear.

I couldn't blame him.

I considered what he'd said about playing his part. It hadn't occurred to me that he'd been roped into this unwillingly, too. Or rather, that he was expected to take an active part in it. What had he been told to do? To reciprocate my friendship? Something else?

The memory of our first, second, and third meeting entered my mind. I grimaced. If that were true, he wasn't trying very hard. Not until we were in public, but even then, he still whispered his threats.

I'd take a feigned friendship over nothing though. I had my role as well and I planned to cooperate to my best capability. The futures of both the vampire and the human world could be changed with this treaty. Peace could come about. Maybe no one would think a vampire hunter would want peace with vampires, but if I didn't stand by what I believed in just because no one believed me, what changes would ever come about? What would I coming here be for?

I would be friendly to Claude in public while silently betraying him behind his back.

The back I currently walked behind, broad and clad in a dark blouson jacket. Students scattered as he moved through the halls, footsteps echoing in the fallen silence. I kept my gaze straight ahead, avoiding any unnecessary eye contact. Kaz kept at my side, not batting an eyelash at the way the students parted like the Red Sea for Claude.

It was strange, yet beneficial for me. Because being near Claude kept everyone from coming near me. Which was making my first day much less stressful than I'd imagined it to be. No threats to my life so far. I did feel slightly disgruntled that no one told me I'd be sharing every class with Claude though. Part of a plot to make us become close, no doubt. A warning would have been nice, but judging by the little smile popping up on Kaz's face now and then, he'd planned it to be a surprise.

I could make use of it. Claude seemed to let his guard down around Kaz, Adora, and San. Who knew what information might slip? If I stuck close to them, I was bound to find something out. Maybe if I could prove myself trustworthy to those three, Claude would eventually consider me that way, too.

I flattened my lips. How hypocritical. I wanted him to trust me and yet I planned to sneak around and gather information about him.

My father always knew how to make my life difficult. What would he even do with that information when I found it? Kill the hidden heir? I didn't see how he would be able to get his hands on someone like that. The heir would be well protected and kept out of sight. Not only that, but my father could never cross the magical boundary without permission. He had no reason to be here, so it would never be granted.