Chapter Seventeen

"Why are you listening in on them?" a muffled voice came from behind the door

Claude and I exchanged looks before he snatched up some clean bandages on the table next to his bed. I almost laughed as he began haphazardly wrapping them around my neck.

That was weird. I never wanted to laugh in the presence of Claude before. I still didn't think I did. We may have come to some kind of ceasefire, but I doubted he could cast his mistrust of me away so easily. I appreciated the step toward it, though.

Kaz and San entered a moment later, followed by the nurse from before, and Evander.

"I'm glad to see you awake, Ms. Levant," Evander said, forehead crinkling at the sight of Claude's shoddy wrapping job. Or maybe at the blood from when I'd reopened my wounds. There were many confusing things happening. I couldn't even keep up with myself.

The nurse tutted, batting Claude's hands away from me. "I'll do it." Her hand pressed against my forehead. "You're warmer than you should be."

I was? My body did feel hot. But I thought that was just from being constantly on edge around Claude and having my freak out.

"She should stay in the infirmary again for the night," the nurse told Evander. "It might be an early onset of an infection. I'll monitor on the wounds."

Evander nodded. "That's fine. Easier to keep an eye on them all in here than in one of the dorms."

Them all? Did the others get injured, too? They didn't look it.

"You're still a student here, Ms. Levant," Evander continued, directing his attention to me now. "You all broke the rules, and worse, were injured in your outing. I have already had this conversation with everyone else, but you've been asleep. That was incredibly dangerous. Not just for your well-being, but for the peace treaty as well."

I took his scolding in stride. I deserved it. "I won't leave campus again."

"I would hope not. No one came out better for it. I'm aware of the tradition among the students, but you have an important role at this school. I expect you to hold yourself to a higher standard from now on. And follow campus rules."

I nodded, feeling a faint heat crawl up my neck. "I will."

"And you will receive the same punishment as the rest of your friends."

"Punishment?" I repeated, my stomach bottoming out. But I was already hurt and—

"Yes. You four are suspended for the next week."

Just suspension? I felt the tension release from my body. Right. Punishment from a school differed from punishment from my father. But the four of us? Me, Claude, Kaz, and San. Then Adora wasn't suspended?

Evander confirmed my thoughts. "Since Adora prevented a disaster and has to go to a hearing, she is exempt from the suspension."

"That's good," I said.