XXXI

"I say we save them!"

"No, we can't change the future! No matter how harsh this may sound..."

Syren laughed as she heard their continuous bickering. With her heart fuelled by the chants of the people, she watched as her past self was in the process of evacuating the last people. She could already feel the taste of success on her tongue. Shrill sirens filled her ears, making her turn around for a second. Slowly, more and more police cars arrived, which only caused her grin to grow. Myth and Degree had already lost against her.

"Hailey, is everyone safe?" Syren asked through her intercom, her eyes turning back to the frozen water supporting the destroyed side of the skyscraper. Her past self didn't answer, instead there was only a gasp. "Hailey?"

"N-No..." Hailey cried out as she ran over to the lifeless body of a woman. Even though she was buried under a large support beam, Hailey hoped that there still was hope to save the innocent woman. Yet, as she used a stream of water to lift the concrete, realisation hit her hard. Those lifeless brown eyes were staring up at the frozen ceiling, a horrified expression remaining on her face even after her soul had departed from this world. The unlucky victim's feet were frozen to the ground, which had made her unable to flee as the beam fell onto her.

"Hailey?" Syren called out, her voice growing worried.

"She's... dead," Hailey shouted in disbelief. Her palms turned into fists as she felt close to breaking down. Looking around herself with teary eyes, she saw a few more that perished some way or another. Tears leaked out of her eyes; quiet sobs escaped her lips. Her rigid breaths produced clouds of smoke as they escaped into the icy air. "There are dead people here, Hailey..."

"Hailey, listen to me," Syren muttered under her breath, biting her tongue. She truly was surprised how easy death could shake up her past self. "We did our best... we saved most of them, dear. Thanks to me, they survived."

"You're right... we succeeded..." Hailey stood up and tried to tear her eyes away from the limp bodies. She sighed exhaustedly, regret and guilt flooding her veins. "I'm coming over to you now, so we can switch places."

"Alright—" Syren sighed once she hesitantly departed from the cheering crowd with some random excuse. She took a deep breath, a smile gracing her red lips as soon as she told herself that she'd drown in praise sooner or later. Once she'd figure out how to get back to the alternated future, her victory would be safe. Quickly, she turned around a corner and disappeared from the citizens' eyes. In her place, her past self emerged from the skyscraper, at which the shouts and praises from the crowd grew to thunderous roars. The police tried to retain them in a safe area, yet they had to muster up all of their forces.

"Syren! Syren!" they chanted; the grin on the villainess' lips grew even more. Into the shadows she vanished, her two minions joining her side silently.

"You two did great." Syren smiled happily, her grin unusually large for her face. Shadow nodded silently, happy that his sister hadn't been hurt in any way. Immediately, he stalked off to avoid the company of the two females. Feline's eyes brightened at her mistress' praise.

"Thank you, Mistress," Feline retorted with her loyal gaze trained on the villainess. "Your words mean a lot—"

"Oh, Anne." Syren relaxed after she had made sure that they were completely alone. Letting her guard down, a smile eased itself onto her face — a genuine one. Feline quickly pulled Syren into a hug, feeling her motherly warmth sweep over her. Syren chuckled and patted her head affectionately. "Everything will be alright, we'll live the life I've always promised to you. No more hiding in the shadows. I'll give you the life you've always deserved..."